View Single Post
Old 17-03-2020, 09:40 AM #41
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
i second that, i would even say, just tell your boss you wont be coming in for the next 7-14 days, it's not something that should be up for discussion
The problem is, this really depends on people's economic situation. Not all employers are paying sick leave. Today I had someone tell me that they called in to their work in my lovely old industry - bookmakers, public facing, cash transactions, maily elderly customers - telling them that they had all of the symptoms and should be self-isolating, AND they live in the South of England where cases are highest... ... ... got told "No we're short staffed already, get your arse in, if you do go off we're not paying sick pay".

Now unless the contracts have dramatically changed since I left, that's not even actually true - it would be 2 days no pay then full sick pay - however, his line manager is telling him he won't get paid and basically, many people are just not in the position to be able to say "Oh well never mind". People still need to eat and most people have zero savings .

Again I just have to thank bebe jesus that I'm in a small, employee-focussed social enterprise with full ability to work from home now... and not having to navigate this absolute ****-show as a retail manager. I strongly suspect most of the high street will go under anyway.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote