Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
That's my main issue with it, I think it's mostly empty praise, I just don't believe that when all of this is finally over people will be insisting on the NHS being better funded and better run and medical staff being given the respect that they have ALWAYS deserved - not just now that something big is happening. I think people will quickly forget that they were clapping in the street and will be happy for NHS staff to continue to be under-paid and taken for granted.

I would be very, very happy to be proven wrong. I would be ecstatic if this was some sort of turning point for healthcare across the whole world. But I just don't see it... And then in a few decades when the next new viral pandemic comes along (because this won't be the last), people will somehow still be shocked at how ill-prepared we were, and will be clapping in their doorways again for their new-found heroes.
I just hope this is a lesson learnt, this definitely won't be the last virus pandemic but hopefully we'll be better prepared.

I wish it was a turning point aswell, I always worry about important services like the NHS as I would never want us to end up with a healthcare system like America.

Our NHS staff need more than cheers and clapping .