View Single Post
Old 01-04-2020, 09:28 AM #97
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post
Teenagers are dying now ... all with no underlying health issues !!

Even more worrying is that I’ve just heard a top medical bod speaking on LBC radio saying that it’s crucial that we all understand that even when you’ve HAD it ( and survived ) then there is not one thread of evidence to guarantee that you are safe from getting it AGAIN !!
You MAY be immune , you may get another mild dose or you may GET really , really poorly (and even die !)

... we just don’t know for sure yet !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
So LBC a few days ago apparently reported that you can't get cold flu in summer so if you're ill in April it must be Covid (a flat out lie), and is row reporting that there's no evidence of immunity in recovered patients (also totally false)? I think they're fudging their reporting to keep people from breaking lockdown, if I'm being totally honest.

There's no such thing as 100% immunity from any disease. It's exceptionally rare to catch chicken pox twice - but not impossible. It's rare to get measles after being infected or vaccinated - but not impossible (in fact 3 in every 100 are not immune after vaccination). That's the same with this but "some people get it twice" isn't "not a thread of evidence that you get immunity". There are over 100,000 recovered now and absolutely tonnes of evidence - both anecdotal and medical - that recovered patients have a level of immunity. There's a possibility if it becomes "seasonal" that you could get it again the next time it emerges, but that has nothing to do with the current outbreak.

I've never listened to LBC but I've now heard multiple examples of them reporting some really dubious stuff that doesn't reflect the actual, reputable and extremely reliable work being done by universities and researchers. Not sure what's going on there.

In terms of teenage deaths, this isn't a new revelation, we've known since mid February from data in China that the only "seems almost totally safe" age bracket is 0-9. The risk of death at 10-19 is VERY, VERY SMALL but it isn't zero so as the total number of deaths increases, sadly, yes we are going to see a very small number of people in that age category dying. It doesn't mean something has changed and we're suddenly going to see huge numbers. It just means that the risk isn't zero - which we already knew.

Also be wary if reporting "died of Covid with no underlying health conditions". Autopsies have not been done so we have no idea of the cause of death, OR if there was an underlying health condition. Twice in the last week we've had front-page reports of young people dying and it's later emerged that they didn't even die of Covid. And on several occasions its been discovered that people with no recorded health problems did in fact have a health condition.

It MAY be that this tragic example is exactly as reported, because as I said, although the risk is very, very low it isn't zero, so as more people become infected these very rare examples will start to emerge. There are, in theory, potentially hundreds of thousands of cases in the UK at this point (and some suggest more).
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote