Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Default TiBB's Favourite #1 of 1990s! [Round 1]

Well, it feels like it's been a decade since the last edition already although it probably only concluded a week ago or so.

More than 185 songs hit the #1 spot in the UK from January 1 1990 until December 31 1999... but I've edited out a hell of a lot of them! These include:
- Charity singles that weren't original songs ("Various Artists" covering Perfect Day, for example, even though that was a marvellous recording)
- Re-entries of classic songs (Bohemian Rhapsody, for example, after Freddie's untimely death)
- Bloody awful like-for-like covers (Robson and Jerome were a SCOURGE that needed wiping from this contest immediately)

We're left with 185 songs that will be split into 10 preliminary rounds... 5 with 18 singles, and 5 with 19. As before, you can vote for your favourite five options in the polls.

I know everyone has a soft spot for the 90s but I will say this: I think the calibre of singles in play here is definitely a weaker mix than the 2000s. Some absolute drivel made it to #1 (Wet Wet Wet, Gary Barlow, Color Me Badd, Simply Red)... but I think there are a handful of genuine classics that should duke it out until their deserved final spots. However: it is only natural that most of us won't know some of these singles, being born in the 90s or even later I humbly ask that you give every song a listen that you haven't heard of. Not only does this make the voting process fairer, but I am potentially doing you a service and introducing you to a song you grow to love / couldn't remember the name of

Also... "'#1 #1" was a very clunky title and it just felt gross so I've changed it.

ANYWAY, the first eighteen contenders for this prestigious crown are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote