View Single Post
Old 13-05-2020, 02:13 PM #39
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
No I wouldn't. I was using the hospital cleaner as an example. I wouldn't want them working on me, but they are essential to the hospital.

Firstly, I didn't write security guard just to get at you. And saying something is unskilled is not the same as saying it's worthless. Unskilled jobs are just as important as skilled jobs, it's the label some people seem to take exception to. You're not going to convince me that someone who has a couple of days induction is the same as someone who has studied for years or spent ages gaining experience.

It's interesting that you never hear skilled people that there is no such thing as an unskilled job, do you.
Ok, no of course it isn't the same but it has a negative connotation to it imo. In times like these when your job is unskilled but essential that creates an oxymoron that needn't exist.
So yes it is the label that I take exception to.
I wouldn't try to convince you, I haven't attempted to suggest that they are the same at all, of course there are job specific skills that have to be attained before you can be classed quite rightly as competant in that role, nurse, electrician, plumber.
However, as TS said there are jobs mine included, that even though there is not a mandatory qualification we require certain training and experience to be effective and competent for the level of responsibility we have, it's certainly not 2 days!
That's why the term unskilled can seem a little disconcerting.

I have actually yes, my sister is a nurse practitioner and she wouldn't dream of saying that.