View Single Post
Old 25-05-2020, 08:47 AM #681

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
My daughter is autistic and learning disabled and, if it's true, I would understand his actions... if I believed for a second that they were the actual reason for his travel. As it happens, I don't believe that that was the genuine reason, and I think people are using his child's disability (if that is the case) as an excuse, which is just ****ing awful to be honest.

That aside though to give some insight into why I think it would be OK *if* it was the real reason; my daughter (aged 7) has a very limited number of people who can look after her. Us, her school/LD professionals, and my sister (who lives 3+ hours away on an island). It's not the case that any other family member or friend will suffice "in a tough spot" - my dad/my in-laws simply don't understand her needs, don't know how to communicate with her, and she would not be safe. Honestly she would be safer with her 10 year old sister than with most adult family members. It's not a simple situation.

But yes... again... I don't believe for a second that this was the reason for their travel. It's just BS that they were concerned that they would both fall gravely ill so suddenly that arrangements couldn't be made to get their son to his grandparents in a worst case scenario that never came to pass anyway. They went out of want, not need.

Great post TS