View Single Post
Old 11-06-2020, 07:29 PM #12
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
I think censoring and removing crappy slapstick comedies is fine; they contributed nothing to the national or international culture at the time and don't depict a period of history from which anything of significance can be drawn.

Gone With the Wind, however, is one of the biggest films of all time and to erase it just seems... wrong. I haven't seen the movie, I don't know which parts are "problematic", but... it's one of the 20th Century's biggest cultural landmarks. To try and erase it seems stupid, and further boosts the right's whinging over freedom of speech and press.

If we're also using the "Hollywood treated its actresses and actors of colour like ****", then I think we're on track to erase pretty much everything prior to 1960 and a fair few things after that.
It's not being erased though, the film isn't going to be re-edited or cut down or destroyed. Chances are it's just gonna have a warning on the synopsis screen for the HBO app or they'll just add an extra optional video somewhere where they explain what life was like for slaves in reality.

I brought up Hollywood treating Hattie like **** because the right wing was acting like the film is a tribute to Hattie McDaniel and they were using her name to justify their bull****. Their argument is basically like 'look! a black person kinda benefited from the film but not really, don't take it down for a few days or society will COLLAPSE!!'
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote