Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
I don't think Emmerdale's warnings are to do with offensive content (that I know of, I don't watch much of it). I imagine like Corrie's warnings before Shane Ward's exit episode was about warning people there would be a depiction of suicide in it, which they may not want to watch if they find it triggering. The same could be said for other sensitive topics like rape, eating disorders etc. To me it's just being considerate of everyone.

If they start banning things or putting restrictions on stories the soaps can depict then I'd have a problem. But not with letting people know what to expect.

In a similar vein, it makes me laugh when people mock the helplines at the end though, because they think the helpline is for people upset by the soap itself, when it's not, it's about people who have gone through the same thing as whatever storyline has been portrayed to find help.
I think the helplines are fine as soaps cover issues in their storylines, I just find ‘threat of violence’ disclaimers crazy as generally it’s pre watershed, watered down nonsense and because they do it all the time it dilutes messages of scenes that actually might cause distress like Aidens suicide

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote