View Single Post
Old 29-06-2020, 09:33 AM #49
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
Yeah, the world some people seem to live in where minorities need to keep one eye open all the time doesn't really match reality.
Honestly I think you're wrong or maybe just haven't experienced it Oliver. One of my best friends has been with his partner for 10+ years, married for 3 years, and of course the fact that they can get married is brilliant and makes us lightyears ahead of other parts of the world.

There are still "parts of Glasgow where they can freely hold hands, and parts of Glasgow where they can't". The city they've lived in since they met. I still find this one of the saddest things I can imagine. I've (obviously) never had to think twice about absent-mindedly taking my wife's hand in public and can't even imagine it.

One of the only physical fights I've been in in my life (which is less than 10 even in the school yard, and only two as an adult) was with people who were harassing him because he's gay.

It's very clearly still a real thing in this country. We can acknowledge that things are MUCH better than in some countries whilst still admitting that there are massive problems. In fact you can't even ignore the global situation when there are married couples in the UK who have to carefully research where they travel abroad based on whether or not they could be imprisoned or worse for sharing a hotel room.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote