View Single Post
Old 08-07-2020, 01:08 PM #15

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
DOI 2020: Lucrezia Millarini

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
DOI 2020: Lucrezia Millarini

I personally wouldn't have added same-sex couples to the show, for a number of reasons. I'm not sure what to think of this for a variety of reasons. Trying to word this as carefully as I can so that I don't unintentionally upset/offend anyone.

1) One of them will have to take 'the male' (leader) or the 'female' (follower) role- so perhaps the opposite sex couples could also occasionally do dances where the woman leads as well?

2) How would they do it on the launch show? if say, it's a male celebrity in the same sex couple, will they have that male line up with the girls while they're waiting to find out which male pro they have? Or will they stand with the boys who are waiting for their female pro, whilst there's also one male pro standing in the lineup, meaning it's much too easy to figure out which pro the celeb will get, as there's only one of the corresponding gender in the lineup (hopefully that makes sense).

3) It'll likely bring people's homophobia out MORE if the celeb in the same-sex couple(s) is/are gay- Strictly is primarily watched by a much older, more conservative audience who still have very outdated outlooks on things like homosexuality, so it is potentially a problematic move by the BBC- the couple in question will likely be bombarded by nasty homophobic comments each week. For clarification though, I don't think everyone against the idea of same-sex dancing couples on the show is homophobic, because who says the couple in question has to involve a gay individual? there could be a straight same-sex couple in the show too, so if most people just assume that the same sex couples will involve a homosexual contestant purely because both of them dancing are the same gender, aren't the people assuming technically the ones being homophobic?. Being 'opposed' (for want of a better word) to dancing couples who are same-sex doesn't mean that these people are opposed to same-sex romantic couples. Also, what about people within the LGBT community who don't want to see this change implemented? That's a demographic that just seems to be ignored by some people. though there are likely quite a few people who fall into said category. I, myself, am bisexual.

4) They might do a Dancing On Ice, and only add it in for the headlines, instead of it feeling organic- I personally don't think DOI's attempt worked, so I feel Strictly's attempt may potentially feel similar- if they do add in a same-sex couple, it has to be the right couple, they shouldn't just do it for the sake of it.

These are just my personal thoughts, and it's 100% OK if you don't agree with them, but this is just more detail on why I personally would keep it the way it is now.

Last edited by crispyduck1234; 08-07-2020 at 01:08 PM.
crispyduck1234 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote