View Single Post
Old 12-07-2020, 03:00 PM #7
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
No it isn’t, because they’re the ones crying the loudest about being ‘cancelled’ or ‘silenced’ using the very publicly huge following they continue to have
Yes it is, "mob justice didn't ruin this person's life or career, therefore it doesn't ruin lives or careers" is a demonstrably illogical, and thus dumb, argument.

"Lol look at this guy, complaining loudly about getting shot, saying I could have killed him, but Ummmm he's not dead he's right there shouting loudly so obviously he's NOT dead and so shooting people DOESN'T result in them dying, so what is he even on about lmao."

If you can see why the above statement is dumb, then you can understand why the argument that encouraging or engaging in mob justice doesn't end careers because it "didn't in these examples" is also dumb.

I'm going to continue referring to it as mob justice because it is mob justice, "cancel culture" is a shiny new term for something as old as civilisation... and I don't have a huge amount of time for that, either.

As for whether or not "some people deserve it"...? Probably, sure, there are plenty of awful people out there. Some people deserving it doesn't mean that it's a good idea though. That argument also falls apart like wet tissue paper under a little pressure.

I'm inherently uncomfortable with what is or isn't deserved, and what does or doesn't constitute justice, being decided by a small, vocal group of very angry, very unqualified, and often not-very-rational individuals.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote