View Single Post
Old 12-07-2020, 03:30 PM #11
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
You can call it dumb all you want, but the fact is, free speech covers everything from people’s right to say offensive stuff, to people being allowed to criticise, ‘mob rule’ has never caused anyone to lose their job, if everyone who said something controversial lost their job, because they caused a public outrage, the unemployment queue would be enormous, people’s careers are effected if the people they work with or for no longer want to work with them, that is down to the person only.

Using the celebrities with the loudest voices saying they’ve been ‘cancelled’ or ‘silenced’ is perfectly reasonable, how can someone be silenced, if they’re spewing their opinions on very public forums and if they’re given slots in the media and on tv to share their opinions, those people benefit from controversy, take Laurence Fox, he’s probably benefited from being ‘cancelled’ the most, he’s talked about now by more people than during his entire career.

The right wing are purposefully highlighting something that isn’t as effective as people are lead to believe, because saying people are going after them because of ‘cancel culture’ is their way of distancing themselves from their controversial opinions and actions, anyone that disagrees with something they say or do, they’re automatically labelled as they loony left’ ‘the snowflakes’ ‘The mob’, it’s a tool to shut down debate and shun accountability, those people are the real deniers of free speech and people are buying into their bull.
I didn't say that the flipside of the coin is good or that people aren't disingenuous or that people don't use these things to their advantage. On the flipside, people absolutely do abuse the right to free speech and veer into hate speech and yes people do make false claims of persecution for their own benefit.

But I'm not going to go down the route of allowing those things to encourage me to ignore that people also use false or exaggerated outrage and crowd-sourced influence the promote and encourage a single-minded group think of "stuff that's correct". I find it frankly creepy as ****. "Oh of course you have a path out of this; convince us that you now think as we think, or if you don't, at least successfully pretend that you do".

It bothers me that 100+ people incapable of formulating a coherent argument of their own can now simply forcibly parrot various dumbed-down mantras against someone they disagree with, and that's supposedly a viable substitute for an intelligent and reasoned debate.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote