View Single Post
Old 14-07-2020, 10:39 AM #43
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
He’s said he’s hesitant to implement a mandate for masks because the behaviour of people wearing them changes, our medical officers have been paying attention to places with mandates and mask wearers show signs on negligence when it comes to social distancing because they feel safe wearing their mask, I personally thinks that’s a dumb move, but we’ve got a significantly lower death and infection rate than England, we’d be better off to still introduce a mandate though
I think that's a valid concern and some research needs to be done into "passing" social distance. IIRC the risk of infection just walking past someone is very low, 2m distancing becomes important when you're in more prolonged contact (having a conversation, queueing etc.) and so it would be good to know if mask wearing does indeed mitigate that risk for it still to be "on balance" better to be a bit closer to someone WITH a mask than 2m from someone WITHOUT a mask.

Completely hyporthetically, I think there's probably a good argument for that, as the virus is mainly transmitted through droplets. I'd rather be 1m from someone coughing into a mask than 2m from someone coughing into the air.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote