View Single Post
Old 17-07-2020, 04:46 PM #97
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett. View Post
Because any conversations into trans issues quickly descend into transphobia and hate. Look on the comments section of ANYTHING to do with anything remotely about trans people and the comments will be full of fat pieces of gammon **** being transphobic and homophobic and just generally ****.
On the Internet, yes, I agree but how does that translate into blocking academics and mental health professionals from having important discussions and carrying out and sharing actual research? The situation in CAMHS at the moment is a disaster, and people are terrified to go there, because it can ruin careers, so I can't see this improving any time soon.

Quote:
People get "cancelled" because they say something others disagree with, and stick to that. People who disagree no longer acknowledge them. It's basic free speech. JK can continue discussing trans issues, but it will just push people away.

Cancel culture basically boils down to "yeah, nah, I'm not listening to this bull**** any more, bye" which is just basic human interaction. Yeah, people who are cancelled may find they lose book deals or TV show appearances. But if I was a piece of **** on facebook, you can guarantee it would affect my job prospects too. These people are in the public eye 24/7 so of course the reaction to them being a piece of **** will be much greater.

In regards to trolls making threats against people who they disagree with, that's never okay, and I would never condone that.
Thats only half of the story, it would be absolutely fine if it WAS about individual decisions and people wanting nothing to do with it on their own consideration, but it extends thoroughly into the issue of group identity. Its not "I want nothing to do with Rowling any more", it's "I want nothing to do with her any more, we shouldn't want anything to do with her any more, and if you disagree, you're no longer one of us".

Group rejection is an IMMENSELY powerful social motivator and it leads to countless people being unable to express a counter-opinion on a topic that has had a group consensus clearly outlined.

Why anyone would think that's a good thing I really have NO idea.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote