View Single Post
Old 21-07-2020, 10:50 AM #22
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I'm convinced that less well off people who vote Tory simply already know this but have had the "strivers and shirkers" stuff forced on them so hard that they're suffering from some sort of self-hatred. "Well yeah I'm not doing so well but that's my own fault, if I had worked harder I'd be doing better... and at least I have more money than my neighbour... so I must have worked harder than them and that makes me feel good".
I think there are a few reasons. Yours is definitely one, but I think being a tory is also seen as aspirational. It's America, so not 100% relevant but polls over there as to why people vote republican reveal a ridiculous amount of people that think they're about to be rich at any minute. Being British, we don't generally have those levels of confidence, but I still think there's something there, and ours is based more around British exceptionalism and superiority complex, that the tories loathing of groups feeds into.

And of course the press most importantly. Decades of foreigners coming for your jobs, your benefits, your women, your rights, is all bound to have an effect. Propaganda rarely ever fails.