View Single Post
Old 10-08-2020, 01:31 PM #3727
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
where is the evidence for people not social distancing in pubs? or is it something that is being assumed to fit a narrative?

There is hard evidence of people not social distancing when visiting others homes, and action has been taken on that.

Just to put it in perspective, I last visited a pub at Christmas, and the time before that was the previous Christmas, so I have no invested interest in pubs being open, but I don't think they should be singled out for negative treatment unless there is hard evidence that pubs are causing a problem and 2 pubs closing is not evidence.
I'm not actually advocating for closing them all right this minute; I think there are serious concerns that are being brushed under the carpet for other reasons (public morale seems likely) and my concern, really, is that a close eye won't be kept on it because of "what we want to be the case" vs "what is actually happening". A couple closing is not a mandate to close them all, it IS an indication that it's a situation in need of monitoring and that we should at the very least be open to the possibility of closing optional leisure services (of any kind) over closing other essential services like non-covid healthcare and education services. There seems to be a huge push-back against that that I just don't really understand.

So I'm not saying close all the doors immediately - my concern is that excuses will be made to the point where the doors won't be closed until after the horse has bolted... something that we have seen repeatedly in the last 6 months.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 10-08-2020 at 01:31 PM.