View Single Post
Old 11-08-2020, 08:40 AM #15
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
It looks a bit like that it's just another way that the people that advocated the lock-down the most, didn't look at the long-term consequences.

The choices to me seem to be let teachers set grades for their own pupils, which leads to bias and inflated results - and a lack credibility in this year's results.

Or downgrade those results based on a school's recent history, which is unfair.
While I agree that there may be a degree of results inflation if they just go with predicted grades... I think the circumstances this year are such that we should just accept that. Does it really matter, in the long run? It's been an unprecedented year for students, just give them the benefit of the doubt. It's not like it really means anything.

If you downgrade a result it can mean a young person missing out on what they want to do next. If you UPgrade a result, the worst that happens is that they pursue the qualification/institution they wanted to go into and find out they don't have the ability to succeed there. It's better than not getting the chance.

Medicine is the obvious example... if a student gets downgraded it might mean not getting into a medicine course AT ALL. If they're upgraded and wouldn't actually have got the grades - it's not like you then end up with a low-ability doctor in 6 years time. If they can handle the course they will become a doctor. If their ability level isn't up to scratch, they'll find out quite quickly. .
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote