POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

Layla Moran criticising Hamas is welcome, and something which more British politicians should do. Anyone serious about #FreePalestine should want rid of their awful "government" before any discussions are open.

This, along with her lukewarm support of Israel, would have helped the Lib Dems take disaffected voters from Labour, possibly? I know she wasn't the party leader then, but still

Quote:
Liberal Democrat leadership contender Layla Moran has launched an outspoken attack on the Palestinian militant group Hamas, describing it as “authoritarian, antisemitic and homophobic”.

The MP for Oxford West and Abingdon, who is currently vying with Sir Ed Davey to lead the party, also said that in order to prove itself as a respected member of the international community, any future state of Palestine must hold free and democratic elections.

Ms Moran, who describes herself as a British Palestinian, also stressed her belief in Israel’s “right to exist, with the same rights of self-determination as any other nation.”

She added that “while this is entirely consistent with Zionist beliefs, it isn’t something I call myself specifically as a word”.

The parliamentarian made the remarks while answering a series of questions relating to Israel, the Middle East and matters of importance to the British Jewish community put to her and Sir Ed by the Liberal Democrat Friends of Israel.

As for her view on the claim by many in Israel that there can be no Palestinian partner for peace until democratic elections are held again – that last time was 2005 - Ms Moran said: “Yes, there should be elections in Palestine. Nobody should have a 15-year mandate.

“The authoritarian, antisemitic and homophobic Hamas won the election in Gaza and in true dictatorial fashion, they have outlawed elections.

“I have publicly condemned Hamas and made clear they do not speak for me or my values. The President of the Palestinian National Authority, the internationally recognised head of the government in Palestine, Mahmoud Abbas (Abu Mazen) has been the official leader of the Palestinian people since 2005.

“If a future State of Palestine is to prove itself as a respected member of the international community it must hold free, fair and transparent elections, as they become a beacon of democracy to the wider Middle East.

“It saddens me to see my ancestral home being run in this way and I cannot wait until the day that Palestine can be a free and vibrant democracy.”
https://www.thejc.com/news/uk/lib-de...hamas-1.505902

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote