View Single Post
Old 26-08-2020, 12:38 PM #34
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
In all honesty though the science behind mask wearing is still very flimsy. That's inevitable really, it wasn't being properly looked at until less than 6 months ago, and that simply isn't anywhere near long enough for any really robust research to have been carried out. Previous "non-Covid" studies into mask wearing and the effect on the spread of illness has shown that it has little if any significant effect - BUT they have also shown that it doesn't do any harm. We're all sort of operating on "best guess" scenarios with it at the moment... and my take is that, if we know it's unlikely to cause any harm, and the effectiveness of how much good it does is "an unknown", we might as well err on the side of caution and wear them .

The data will be available one day and we'll have some pretty robust stats on how effective it was (if at all). For now, there's no reason NOT to.
It might not have been looked at from a covid perspective but surgical masks have always been worn in surgery to prevent risk to the patient not the surgeon as part of their PPE.

I don't agree the science is flimsy, it's perfectly robust and obvious to me that if you limit the concentration and or reach of air molecules you slow the spread and reduce the risk.

We now have lots of evidence as to how effective they are, it would be pure ignorance to leave it up to individuals to decide as the effectiveness is based on significantly reducing airbourne particles. In the petri dish that is your average high school that would require the involvement of all.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...-guidance.html