View Single Post
Old 31-08-2020, 03:49 PM #1555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic. View Post
At long last, I got around to finishing the first week of BB4. I didn't post anything when I did the premiere a couple weeks ago because I didn't think the houseguests had done enough to warrant enough of an opinion off me, but I know what I think now

Week 1 (Scott walks; Amanda Evicted)
1. Alison
2. Dana
3. David
4. Jun
5. Erika

6. Amanda
7. Michelle
8. Jee
9. Jack
10. Nathan
11. Justin

12. Robert
13. Scott
1. Alison (-) - It's rare that I find someone in a reality show who's prone to so much bad behaviour but always keeps it fresh and never waning in entertaining or inciting my interests the whole way through. The journey Alison went through in BB is something I never thought I'd have encountered; someone so known for being reckless, not trusted by anyone, yet always pulling out some fast tricks every week she's in peril to ride her way to the end. How she could lead people on but toss them aside to others for being aligned with her in the first place was a groundbreaking thing to sit through, and she wasn't even calculated either, she was one of the most brilliantly catastrophic and self-destructive players I ever came across.
2. Jun (+2) - Someone who after a while just got better each passing week really. I actually think Jun could be the best gameplayer I've seen so far. She got critique for floating yeah, but at the same time, it's like this season was catered to floating under her rules. The way she'd have others fall out with each other when both sides in a conflict would usually be aligned with her anyway is pretty wonderful when I think about it. On top of this, even though Alison was definitely the funniest houseguest as far as shock value and unpredictability were concerned, Jun's verbal putdowns about her environment were sharply intelligent and usually pretty rational too, which is why I did root for the season concluding in a F2 none of America asked for .
3. Dana (-1) - If Alison and Jun are what carry the last few weeks, then Dana is who carries the first few. She accomplished so much of a chaotic rise and downfall in the space of only four weeks. From her disastrous HoH reign where she had no idea what she was doing and just want personal in going after the rival in her hilarious feud Alison, only for Alison to be saved and Dana having to scramble at the end, to then being nominated against her only ally in Jun and then trying to band people against Jun, which evidently would never work because Dana kept fucking menial things up for her entire stay .

4. Jee (+4) - My god, what an unexpectedly funny individual. At first, Jee seemed like a pretty plain houseguest, heading an alliance I cared very little for. But then once I noticed his elaborate gameplay plans seemed to always backfire in the worst possible way for him, he became a pretty solid highlight of my viewing. Then even outside of when his targets would almost never go home, the time he won PoV off the back of deciding to starve everyone to only PB & J, followed by trying and winning McDonald's food for himself for a week (plus one HG of his choice a day), such awful actions yet he'd be so confused when he'd be the only one to do these selfish things . And yet of the final 5, he was still the most noble and honest one there, and I had a lot of respect for the patience he had in an environment he wasn't always cut out for.
5. Jack (+4) - Probably the nicest guy in the whole cast who still knew how to run the game if he had the chance with some funny lines and moments in between. Unfortunately he failed all the comps so could never achieve that . It's interesting looking back on the season too, because all his predictions about how people like Alison, Jun and even Justin would cause big things to happen all turned out true, which is why I have even more respect for how he was the only juror who seemed actually happy for Jun/Alison reaching the end in their cutthroat gameplay .
6. Nathan (+4) - Kind of a scream . I have to applaud him in saving us from Alison being out as early as week 3(!!!). Only that would come back to bite him and make him be out two weeks later . Nevertheless, his unbelievably pointless devotion to Alison that lead to her sapping away at his dignity and making him fall out with people was something I never grew tired of, even when he was in the jury house and was lonely, desperate for female attention and STILL wanted to cosy up to her again .

7. Amanda (-1) - I didn't really learn anything about her while she was there, but the early explosivity she got into regarding David/Michelle's ex-relationship was something .
8. Michelle (-1) - I grew a lot of sympathy in how blindsided she was and how everyone pretty much lied to her she wouldn't be the second evicted ( ), but outside of that she wasn't that much of a loss either.
9. David (-6) - Errhh, on the one hand, his aloofness in doing anything at the drop of a hat was vaguely entertaining, but having sex with Amanda and then lying to his ex-girlfriend that he didn't was pretty sketchy stuff, and his zero guilt in any of it was a bit annoying.
10. Justin (+1) - He really doesn't entertain me in any way, but the relationship with Dana and how he fell out with Alison were things I liked.

11. Erika (-6) - She started out promising as a lone player who could get ahead off the communication of others, sort of in a more fair-playing way than Jun, and I liked her alliance with Jack. But I can't excuse the early racism comments about Jee or how she kept acting on Robert's good side in her last few weeks despite admitting to wanting him out of the house. Easily my least favourite female of the cast.
12. Scott (+1) - Painful to sit through his melodramatic breakdowns, I hope he received the help he needed.

13. Robert (-1) - Ugh! Not only was he a raging sexist who slut-shamed women on more than one occasion whenever bested by them, he, even more angering than this, put on a nice guy front of some dad who just wants to do right for his daughter and means no harm on people. It makes me almost puke in my mouth. He felt like a total add-on to the F3 after he got that far, in fact I would've thought given his skeevy, meek gameplay that he would have been evicted much sooner, but no I had to put up with him the whole season pretty much, and opposite to Jun, he just got worse and worse.

This stands tall as one of the most morbid but fascinating seasons of BBUS I've ever watched. Its quality may have only been carried by a small few people and that lets it down a bit, but the actual content on display wasn't similar to anything I ever watched. There's a sombre atmosphere for most of the length but still a heightened, comical energy because of some of the heavy emotion-fuelled houseguests. It's really the season of Alison and Jun, so in that respect the way its shaped by them makes it a worthwhile season to sit through, and the gameplay was much different to BB2/3, not just because the PoV rules changed, but because this far into the franchise, houseguests knew more about how the game should go, so had more alternating motives from each other rather than it really ever being that unanimous in the voting, which would explain why it was so dark and endearing, and why it gradually became more twisted as time went on in a good way .

Last edited by Epic.; 31-08-2020 at 03:54 PM.
Epic. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote