View Single Post
Old 07-09-2020, 07:10 AM #144
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
..I agree with Liam in that I don’t profess to know what the solution would be in terms of bathroom spaces etc...but as someone whose thoughts are strongly with human equality and considering the emotional and very difficult journey that is taken by ‘trans’...and how ‘separated’ they would have felt for so long, both before the journey and during it...it would just be awful for that ‘separation’ to continue in terms of those bathroom spaces and male to female finally reaching womanhood...Which is a place that they’d always felt they should have been from birth...
Honestly I think people get a bit stuck on the bathrooms part, I don't think it's all that important and I don't think there are actual concerns surrounding safety in public bathrooms (any more than there are in general). The issue there is people's fears and comfort but even then, clearly, the way to tackle it should be compassionately and informative not militantly and aggressively. If a woman who may well have experienced violence from males is legitimately scared about this issue then the aim should be to reassure that person, not to brand them hateful and target them aggressively... That (obviously) does nothing but compound those fears. "UGH you don't have to be scared of transpeople, choke on my dick you stupid transphobe bitch!!". Twitter logic .

However, yeah... The public bathroom is really surface level stuff. Child safeguarding, protection of vulnerable women in refuge etc., women's sport, the ability to use frank terminology in healthcare... These are the issues that at the very least need in depth, level-headed examination and discussion without the people trying to do that being targeted with guilt-tripping, accusations and aggression.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote