View Single Post
Old 07-09-2020, 09:26 AM #146
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...but I don’t know who these ‘people’ who got a bit stuck on the bathroom stuff are, TS...in terms of this original thread topic...it wasn’t Liam, I don’t think where the diversion began and it wasn’t me...with respect, actually ...it may even been you yourself being part of the bathroom space introduction with...

‘A) an unwillingness to allow the safeguarding reasearch to be done based on the premise that it's "offensive" to suggest that it needs to be.‘..I’m not sure, I’m just skim reading...anyways, no matter because it’s how threads get diverted anyway and encompass many things, is what we often see...any safeguarding concerns are obviously something that have to be a primary as well/...and that safeguarding has to gel with equality also..which is what I profess to not knowing the answer to that and Liam was never dismissing or disregarding that, from what I can see...

...you say ‘compassionately’ and not ‘aggressively‘ and I completely agree with that...but then that last sentence of the first paragraph...really..?...that’s quite a minority ‘Twitter logic’ on this particular news story form what I’ve looked at...or at least there is another quite substantial balance of a completely different mindset... if people do indeed ‘get stuck on stuff’...then by definition of ‘being stuck‘...it can never be considered ‘surface’ at all...
That sentence is a direct quote of something I have personally seen on Twitter, and it's far from isolated; it is constant and prolific on any Social Media discussion of the topic that gains any traction. If the topic is brought up by a woman and sparks debate, threats of sexual violence against that woman will follow. Like clockwork. It's a MASSIVE problem and trying to shoo it away as something minor that is very rare is part of the problem; you have people saying "umm that doesn't happen" to people who are actively watching it happening. Is it a minority? Almost certainly but that's not really the point, is it. Yes it's a minority that goes to those extremes. In my (anecdotal, admittedly) observation though, the less extreme examples (e.g. women being called TERFs, transphobes, harpies, hags, bitches, etc. etc.) for stating anything that questions the trans activist zeitgeist is absolutely not a minority... it's rife. I've seen it on here, multiple times.

Quote:
...anyways, I really don’t wish to get involved further in this particular forum discussion atm...(..I won’t say never though, I might dip in and out...)...I’m actually quite confused with your stance and thoughts as well, TS, because they’re quite inconsistent with past similar-ish thread topics ...unless I’m recalling it incorrectly, which is entirely possible as well...
When this topic came up a few years ago I had an almost polar opposite opinion to the one I hold now. Since then... direct experience of seeing people quite viciously attacked (perfectly respectful academics), the attempts to shut down and destroy discuission of the issue, the problematic charitable organisations like Mermaids, direct experience of the complete lack of concern for robust evidence-based child safeguarding practices, and an increasingly extreme rhetoric coming from activist groups (not just an issue with trans rights, of course, it's default 2020) has forced me to completely reconsider my stance on this.

Interestingly though, I'd say my issue with this on the other side a few years ago, and my issue now, are actually more or less the same thing. I was getting frustrated at the time by people stating dangers "as fact" with absolutely no evidence. That still happens, but now I'm increasingly encountering people vehemently arguing that there are NO risks, additional considerations, child mental health or safeguarding concerns again with absolutely no evidence. In fact there IS evidence, that is being aggressively ignored, in the child mental health arena that the rhetoric being used by trans activists (not fringe ones, very mainstream groups) is directly damaging to the mental health of trans adolescents.

When it comes down to it, I just want people to be able to do the ****ing legwork and be allowed to do so without being threatened, harrassed or intimidated "because it's hurting people's feelings". It's ridiculous. Grown adults whining about "hurtful stuff" and "things being like a slap in the face" at the expense of actual mental health research and child safeguarding. I have absolutely no time for it.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote