View Single Post
Old 10-09-2020, 08:09 AM #22
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
people watch a show like BGT for entertainment, not to be lectured to
While I disagree that it was "a lecture" - I actually can appreciate that Saturday Night Telly isn't the best place for political activism. I'm a (huge) believer in the importance of escapism/entertainment immersion and I can fully appreciate why people wouldn't want their "intellectual down-time" (which is all Saturday night reality trash really can be) suddenly infused with the same political statements they hear elsewhere. It's not that it CAN'T be part of it but it's about expectation, I suppose. e.g. in terms of movies - there are many amazing movies with strong political messages that I love. There are also many "popcorn" movies that I see to zone out, and it can be pretty jarring to have overt political statements slipped into popcorn movies. BGT is absolutely a "popcorn movie".

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
So, no-one complained about the kids singing about climate change and saving the planet but a black dance group gets thousands of complaints dancing about equality? Both are causes that some people feel passionate about but only the race cause brings complaints.
However I can also see Annie's point here - there is a double standard if people are fine with some political soapboxing but draw a line at another variety. IMO the blurred lines are always going to be too complicated for a show like this, and BGT should stick to being purely light entertainment, but if they ARE ok with some campaigning then they have to be OK with all campaigning.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 10-09-2020 at 08:09 AM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote