View Single Post
Old 16-09-2020, 02:07 PM #51
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
Do you actually believe that people like JK and the LGB alliance would be willing to sit and listen to trans representatives and their opinions and experiences? I personally don’t think so, as someone with not chips in the game’ It seems like people want to make all the decisions about the future of trans rights, without having to actually think about trans people themselves.
I see plenty of people (it's never going to be "all") willing to have open discussions and I see that willingness being branded transphobic, often aggressively, often without justification. I find "groups" and "alliances" to be inherently prescriptive and dogmatic, but yes I suspect Rowling would happily engage in individual discussion. At least, I've not seen anything to suggest otherwise.

Quote:
At the end of the day JK is a business woman, now that her new book is coming out, it patently obvious to me that she’s done everything she’s done and said over the past few months, to garner whatever interest she could to further her sales, it’s the same as Piers Morgan stoking they ‘woke culture war’ to promote his new book and Lawrence Fox turning into a right wing rent-a-gob to elevate a flagging career, it’s a shame she’s had to go down this route because she’s a decent writer.
I see plenty of women - women who are open-minded and generally very accepting of social justice issues - expressing concern on this one and specifically expressing concern about being attacked for having concerns... So no, I don't think it's the same issue snd I don't think it's possible to dodge it by sweepingly branding people who are demonstrably not bigots as small minded or bigoted. It's just a go-to tactic because, yes, on social justice issues it is too often the case. But it doesn't fit here. It's being shoehorned. Unsuccessfully.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote