View Single Post
Old 16-09-2020, 02:30 PM #58
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
And there are plenty of trans people who are willing to discuss it and share their experiences, but they’re conveniently ignored in favour of highlighting those extreme minorities that name call and troll people online, to push a certain narrative, why are trans people and advocates held to a higher standard of how they should compromise and listen, to those who actively want their rights changed or taken away?
Online spaces are hardly the best place to have any discussion and that's actually one of my criticisms of JK Rowling; taking this to her Twitter which obviously has absolutely massive mainstream reach.

But the rhetoric and actions when it comes to trans activism are also affecting academics, professionals, evidence-based practice and areas that have direct safeguarding implications and that, I believe, is what has many women and child advocates very worried and what I think they frankly should be concerned about. "But it's offensive and transphobic to say that there might be safeguarding concerns!!" just isn't good enough. It doesn't matter that it's offensive. People's lived experience is important, people's opinions are valuable but the second that start affecting or seeking to affect professional spaces or policy whilst refusing proper scrutiny it is a step too far... And that absolutely is happening. Self ID is an absolute minefield and nightmare for safeguarding and things like inpatient mental health. Universal unquestioning acceptance (as pushed by mermaids) is a complete disaster for child mental health. These are just a few examples of stances that are branded "transphobic" even when it's qualified professionals involved in the discussion.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 16-09-2020 at 02:32 PM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote