ZakJam <3~

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Zak
BBCanada 9: Victoria

ZakJam <3~

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Zak
BBCanada 9: Victoria

Album starts with You Better Believe which is a pretty unremarkable start to be honest sounding like any up and coming indie rock artist in the last 10 years. Be an Astronaut makes up for it with stellar songwriting. The Key to Life on Earth is a good catchy cooldown. Beautiful Faces is very catchy but feels like an homage to Arctic Monkeys. Daniel, You're Still a Child is pretty decent, but Emily feels like a much needed break from the heavily guitar based instrumentation. Twice Your Size is fine, Rapture shows off McKennas songwriting chops very well with one of the catchiest choruses on the album. Sagittarius A* has a more engaging play with dynamics and use of synths over the course of the album but as a song it didn't engage for me. Eventually Darling has plenty of interesting ideas but I don't feel any were developed fully.

The space theme is certainly there even if the references to it aren't particularly inventive. Declan clearly has talent as a songwriter and each song is fairly distinct, but I'd love to see him broaden his instrumentation further for his future releases. My biggest gripe with this album is how his influences are painfully obvious the album almost sounds like a tribute to Bowie, Queen and Elton John.

Giving this album 7.3
LemonJam is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote