27/01/2020

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Clara Amfo
BBUSA22: Da'Vonne

27/01/2020

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Clara Amfo
BBUSA22: Da'Vonne

I’m a huge fan of Declan McKenna, and although I much preferred his debut (What Do You Think About the Car?), Zero’s was still a nice follow up. He’s only young so I can see how his influences have almost taken over his own work but regardless of that I found it an enjoyable album and I think he will definitely be one to watch in the music scene. The standard of British Music in 2020 isn’t exactly sky high, so I find Declan’s presence refreshing and seeing his growth has been nice.

It’s no surprise that the singles are the stars of the show - The Key to Life on Earth, Beautiful Faces and Daniel, You’re Still a Child are huge standouts to me and have been on repeat over the last few weeks. I see this album at a comfortable 8.5, none of the songs make me want to switch off but I wouldn’t say I’m excited about absolutely everything there. The album, however, is definitely a grower and it took me about 5 spins to fully appreciate it, you have to be in the right mood and headspace to take it in properly.

I’m (assuming Covid allows) seeing him live in April so I’m really interested in seeing how this album translates to a live production as I can’t say I’ve seen too many of his live performances, bar the off TV chat show guest slot.
Morgan. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote