View Single Post
Old 24-09-2020, 06:04 PM #84
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
It's a good thing I didn't at any point say it's acceptable then, isn't it?

Nothing to do with cognitive competence, it's about maturity and naivity, which we have to excuse in the young to some extent or we're going down a very dodgy path. Young people talk out of their arses, they try to be edgy, they think it's funny, they encourage each other... I think it's really scraping the sociological barrel to start tarring people for life at 18 "because they were adults who should have known better".

Again I haven't even said it was the wrong decision; they removed the offer from ONE of a group of people who were all involved in these conversations, which suggests that the one who was denied entry "took it to another level" in some way that hasn't been specified. They HAVEN'T removed the offers of all of the people involved, so that suggests that the University understands that it's possible for them to redeem themselves.

See here we have a prime example - we could just ban Oliver for his nonsense but we don't, we accept that he's just doing "immature internet stuff" and let him know that it isn't funny or edgy and gradually he does it less and less. If we banned him he'd be off in a 4chan echo chambre getting a tonne of positive reinforcement for comments like this. We all know that he'll turn out alright in the end so we keep him around.
I'm not here to evaluate forum members....

It has everything to do with cognative competence, self regulation is a key part of that and by 18 to suggest a person has not had to use and hone that skill is ridiculous.

We can excuse some things yes, but not absolve blame for situations that have repercussions in the real world.. no. Which is what happened here. The guy broke the rules for acceptance and therefore must accept that is the reason he must forfeit his place. That is also am integral part of becoming a fully functional adult, accepting that your actions have consequences.
He will apply to another uni or defer he will hopefully take something from the experience, learn and grow from it.