View Single Post
Old 27-09-2020, 12:19 PM #1566

A couple days ago I finished BB7 in the space of less than a week , but neglected to post about it here.

1. Will
2. Danielle
3. Jase
4. Alison

5. James
6. Janelle
7. Marcellas
8. Diane

9. George
10. Kaysar
11. Nakomis

12. Erika
13. Mike
14. Howie

I didn't really bother with full thoughts this time around because almost all of these can just boil down to either improving from when I last saw them being the same but not shining as much, or being worse off than they were before, so instead I'll just summarize each of them. I struggled with a fav, but Will I felt necessary to put on top for ruling the house in a non-obnoxious way where he still had challenges faced and remained hilariously cutthroat intelligent in his lines, even if he seemed more indestructible than he ever was as a lone survivor in BB2. Danielle/Jase/Alison/James also shown another side to them to make me value their legacy in the show more, the first two because I felt they had a more redemptive side and I sided with them even at their lowest points, Alison because she failed so hard , and James for a combination of both points.

I don't think Janelle was nearly as strong as she was before, in fact I'm flummoxed as to how people think she's amazing in this one when she screws up her own game to simp for Dr. Will on so many occasions. She still had similar appeal as she did in 6, but the rootability was growing stale on me. Marcellas/Diane remained worthwhile characters, even at the cost of not being nearly as pivotal as their debut season, George was a lot more likable and unintentionally funny than season one when his attempts of humor cringed my insides. Kaysar/Nakomis showed potential but ended on a whimper for me sadly, especially in Kaysar's unbelievable gullibility two seasons in a row now.

Erika was an UTTER disappointment! I went in expecting me to root for her as some sort of anti-Chilltown rep, but all she did was fall hopelessly in love with Booger while never really getting much reciprocated back and it repulsed me. So of the old school seasons, still the worst female I've seen so far. Mike Boogie I heard was going to be worse than he was in 2, but I couldn't really agree. He still had his moments where he hugely angered me, but he did make some smart moves, even when he wasn't being carried by Will. I still do hate him on the whole but it lightened a bit in 7. Howie I probably didn't mind at all the first few weeks, his obsession with Will was his only identity but it was a humorous minor storyline. But at the jury house, the way he was so proud of how aggressive he got at the end and wanted to do the same to anyone who pissed him off, and the way he got outsmarted in arguments by Marcellas and Chicken George? Yiikes, talk about ruining your (lack thereof) legacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post
How would you rank the first six seasons?
I don't think people will like this . (I'll include 7 for good measure to talk about it here).

2 - Ticks all the right boxes to invest me the whole way through, has a lot of amazingly memorable personalities, and generally it's chaotic but down-to-earth energy revitalized the appeal of the show.
3 - Aged pretty well for me after leaving it behind. Everyone in the really balanced cast appealed to me in some way and it managed to be a consistently good show whilst still having an air of unpredictability to it.
5 - Another one which aged better after I left it behind for rather similar reasons to 3, though let down a bit by only really being carried by two people for me with the rest I liked being up and down in how much I enjoyed them.
4 - Does get pretty carried by Alison/Jun once Dana leaves, but a season which got noticeably better with each passing week, and the first one that had a uniquely dark edge to it.
6 - It's similar to 4 in that I like its rawer tone and how disjointed it becomes, but SO OVERRATED OMG. Very little of the cast I actually found likable, and most of the ones I did were pretty boring. The house divide had a lot of interesting layers to it, but by the end I couldn't really side with either . I can in some way understand why it's so revered, because it was more heated and twisted in how it portrayed things, but I dunno, something was missing for me.
7 - I swing a lot both ways for this season. The first few weeks when it had a well-known ensemble I really enjoyed, but it's contrasting to 4 in that I thought it got WORSE with each passing week . There's no denying Chilltown were a force to be reckoned with, and there's some entertainment in how they snoop around the house, but after a while it got pretty stale seeing someone fall for their deception TEN weeks in a row? . And the worst part is if you mention this season, it ultimately is defined by them, which is one reason why I felt obliged to put Will on top for the cast . The season doesn't have any other glaring problems thankfully, but that one I just mentioned was a huge hindrance anyways. As I said at the beginning, a lot of the cast either improve on themselves from seasons prior, or dip in quality, but some of them might've been truly great had they been given more of a chance. Similar to 6, there was something missing. Maybe if they replaced a few all-stars with other ones a couple of my gripes would be fixed here.
1 - It's not good obviously, but I think it gets way too much flack off people, most of which have never even watched it. The first 8 weeks while Brittany is there was good for its time back when BB was just supposed to be a show of people living in a house together. The drama brought by her/William/Jordan helped balance that out too. The last four weeks without her there are pretty damn boring though, and are what kills the season for me (Chicken George trying to be entertaining doesn't make anything less boring). I also can't excuse doing evictions (or in BB1's case "banishments" ) every two weeks. The season would not have felt so slow or barren otherwise. It may completely lack "gameplay" or "conflict", but it should partly be appreciated as some sort of relic of what BB was going to be until Survivor's high ratings flushed it dry and made them have to rethink the show.
Epic. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote