View Single Post
Old 27-09-2020, 12:29 PM #33
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
My point being if he is saying this is not a left or right issue it clearly is as it only affects right wing speakers. This is akin to saying it's traditional to allow young students to be effectively indoctrinated via right wing mouthpieces.
To be fair I would say if there's a policy of not allowing extreme speech then that should be what it is, it shouldn't be politically partisan. If you don't allow a hard right speaker (and I definitely understand the reasons for that) then you shouldn't allow hard left speakers either. Personally I am inclined to think that Universities are not places to be used as mouthpieces for any extreme in a lecture/monologue situation. I think if you're going to book people with extreme views, it should be for a live debate alongside opposing viewpoints (and moderates). Very little to be gained by giving any person or group with strong political views a "soapbox", especially with young students who are mostly still figuring out their political leanings. They need space to do that.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote