View Single Post
Old 27-09-2020, 01:36 PM #43
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
To be fair I would say if there's a policy of not allowing extreme speech then that should be what it is, it shouldn't be politically partisan. If you don't allow a hard right speaker (and I definitely understand the reasons for that) then you shouldn't allow hard left speakers either. Personally I am inclined to think that Universities are not places to be used as mouthpieces for any extreme in a lecture/monologue situation. I think if you're going to book people with extreme views, it should be for a live debate alongside opposing viewpoints (and moderates). Very little to be gained by giving any person or group with strong political views a "soapbox", especially with young students who are mostly still figuring out their political leanings. They need space to do that.
Define 'hard left' do we know any hard left speakers? What are their views?
We do know some that have been prevented from speaking at uni, Toby Young, Katie Hopkins that Milo wotsit guy.

There is plenty to gain from having all the future voters singing from the same songbook. And as the country lurches further and further right how could you facilitate this covertly? By framing it as 'tradition'.