Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Asttina Mandela
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Asttina Mandela
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain.Remy View Post
It's all related to representation of diversity on TV.
And both shows have had their issues with that for a long time.
I'm not against putting more deserving POC on TV to increase representation than the current white/POC split in USA.
Some past seasons of both shows didn't meet the same "76% white" criteria. We've had seasons with a much higher percentage than that yet we didn't hear white people say "oh that's too much, we need to respect the split by adding more POC". Never happened.
We all know a lot of acceptance, tolerance, diversity is through what we see on TV because it's normalizing stuff (ex: gay housemates on BB or any other shows back in the 2000s). It helps and I'm totally OK with that.
We do! The upcoming series of IAC has only 1 black and 1 mixed raced out of 12, and you can find me on DS saying that's not enough. On a site where most people would disagree or just not care. Its not really that big of a deal either way, but it would be nice for IAC casts to become more diverse.

So yes it does go both ways!

Also its different with 'normalising' stuff because PoC are normalised anyway as well as the LGBTQ+ community. Back in the early 2000s a lot of people probably didn't know anyone openly gay or trans but I now I think its fair to say that most people in this country probably do. Let alone people of colour.

I'd actually personally like to see more Asian representation in the showbiz/TV world. Again the UK asian population compared to black is a lot higher and I bet you can name a lot more black British celebs than Asian ones!
Maxxie. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote