View Single Post
Old 26-11-2020, 12:55 PM #21
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Not Kizzy advising pre-diabetic people to eat chip butties. Does the reign of terror know no end?

In all seriousness; the best option would be to cut out as much of both as possible, obviously you can't cut out bulky carbs and sit stuffing your face with chocolate and haribo, but you also can't expect to cut just sugar and continue eating as much bread and pasta as you like. The problem is how the body processes carbohydrates and sugar is just a high-energy carbohydrate. To get right into it, the reason I think you need to be "stricter" on basic carbs than on sugar is because it's easy to remember that sugar should just be a treat; so sugar in your morning coffee is fine, but not sugar in 4+ coffees throughout the day. A sugary snack with a movie is fine, but not every day of the week.

Bulk carbs on the other hand are a normalised part of our diet and people will happily have porridge for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch and pasta for dinner and think nothing of it or even that they've made healthy choices. But as soon as you have that carby breakfast your body is going to chase carbs all day - and that means blood sugar fluctuations which is exactly what you don't want.

But I also don't think "strict" faddy diets work because they aren't sustainable... so I wouldn't advocate for trying to "completely cut carbs" or nonsense like that. I think a good example would be... bacon and eggs (no carbs) is a better breakfast than a bacon sandwich (carbs) - BUT don't worry too much about throwing in the occasional sausage that has wheat in it.

Or... let's say you're getting an Indian as a treat... probably skip the garlic nan - but don't worry too much about the batter on the pakora. etc.
Did you see the link?... and my personal experience.

If all you are going to do is mock then take your own advice and don't quote me.