View Single Post
Old 12-01-2021, 01:29 PM #67
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
I agree, but I think there is a difference between here and the US. Over there, I agree it's the "this will be me one day" syndrome tied in with american exceptionalism and the american dream. Over here, I think it's not as optimistic. I believe over here it's more about branding and aligning with the projected image of successful tories, and also geared to us being prepared to accept worse for ourselves, as long as we still have people who are worse off still. It's the brow-beating us into believing that a better society just isn't possible.
True... I think the UK has always had this huge issue with "working class pride", almost like a twisted form of Stoicism, where working all the hours under the sun to squeak by is actually some sort of moral stance.

An element of "work hard and know your damn place" in contrast to the US's "work hard and anything is possible".

...and I do think the continuation of the monarchy - even as a figurehead - subtly plays into that to a massive extent. The whole core set-up of the UK class hierarchy is that you literally CANNOT reach the top, you're born there or you're not.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote