View Single Post
Old 12-01-2021, 01:43 PM #69
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
I don't have the "it'll be me someday" syndrome -SEN support in public education isn't exactly lucrative!- but I'd sooner see a lot of the fat trimmed from public expenses before tax rises. I don't know how much of the things https://www.promotionalcodes.org.uk/frugal-blog/12468/20-disgusting-wasteful-examples-of-spending-by-the-uk-government/]here still apply, but all this coupled with clamping down on cronyism? That money could go a long way.
I think there are areas that are obviously wasteful - so long as that's in good faith and the cuts are in the vein of increasing efficiency WITHOUT cutting services (You can cut fuel costs for garbage collection? GREAT! You're doing it by cutting the number of collections to one a month? **** off.)

I also think tax doesn't need raising in the "achievable range" and if anything could be cut in a certain range. I'd place that range at the £70k - £120k range which I think IS realistically achievable for many people and I think in an ideal world both the 0% tax range would be extended up to £20k, and the tax bands beyond that would be cut by 5 - 10% per tier up to £120k.

However I'd have that hand-in-hand with a MASSIVE crackdown on tax avoidance in the very-high-income range and on large companies. People on £100k are still, at the end of the day, consumers and that's the vital point. There are areas where money is pooling/stockpiling with a tiny number of individuals and it's just not sustainable.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote