View Single Post
Old 13-01-2021, 08:57 PM #18
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Republicans are in a tough 50/50 now. Do they vote to acquit and allow everyone to brand them terrorist sympathisers and insurrectionists for the foreseeable future, or do they take the hit and potentially cut away a huge part of their base that are dumb enough to still support Trump?

The best bet would probably be the latter, although the republicans will want to completely destroy everything about Trump to the point it torpedoes his family's chances of election. If a Trump runs in 2024 as an independent candidate then that will likely screw the Republicans' chances. They'll want to kill the Trumps' political ambitions completely in one fell swoop, and that will probably mean that, if they impeach, you'll see them pursue criminal charges against his kids and Jared Kushner as well.

It'll be interesting to see how the democrats would decide to act in that situation, since a third party Trump candidate would not hurt their hold one bit.
McConnell said off the record yesterday he was happy about the impeachment because it gives them a chance to wash the stain of trump off them, so i don't think he would have said that if he wasn't looking to convict.

Last edited by The Slim Reaper; 13-01-2021 at 09:03 PM.
The Slim Reaper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote