BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samm View Post
The Union is dead, brexit and covid have made that clear, ever since 2016 this country has been going down a slippery slope, isolating its self and loosing touch with the younger generation. I’m embarrassed to be british, I would much rather class myself as European. I think there’s a lot of underlying problems like this current government, the unhealthy obsession with the war and probably the monarchy. A big change like a republic country would be a starting point.
I agree with a lot you list there.

I have always thought brexit would split the Union irreparably.
With this useless PM we have, there's no chance of unifying the UK in my view.

Neither under his 2 leaders before him.

I can see the movement growing in N Ireland too.
However during the EU campaign some Con supporters the break up of the UK was a price worth paying for brexit.
So they are likely to get that.

I'm happy to think of myself as British and European.
Then I'd rather move closer to than move away from other Nations.

Of course there's many, obviously even in polling it's still over 4 in 10 who don't want Scotland to be independent..
In UK democracy 4 in 10 don't matter as in the EU referendum.

Therein lies the problem now in my view in part.
Under successive governments, I include Blair in this and other Prime Ministers.
( I'll exclude Gordon Brown).
Scotland's opinions don't matter, certainly not to this PM and a strong force in his party as to backbenchers..who can only set out to ridicule and put down any representation from those sent by Scottish voters, except their own handful of MPs in the Con party.

For as long as the SNP remain strong and they're seemingly getting stronger.
Then independence will always be on the agenda.
Which is what the SNP has always wanted, hence their name.
So it's no surprise.

For, and I've said this before, a UK government to in effect keep Scotland hostage in the UK, against the now clear will of the majority of Scots voters.
Is unsustainable and will lead to massive likely constitutional chaos.

So I thought it once unthinkable even over my 28 years to think of the break up of the UK.
Sadly, brexit, this awful PM and his hard-line rotten government however, could well really have already started to plant the seeds that will destroy the existence of both the UK and indeed Great Britain.

I also doubt, as that gains more momentum, that Wales will just want to be stuck with England as a kind of just Wales-shire of England.

This isn't scientific in any ways.
However of 12 of my own relatives in Scotland who will reach voting age this year at 18.
9 would now vote for independence in a referendum.
So as you say, it seems possibly more of the newer younger voters, will be demanding this issue to not be taken away, or to even go away.

Last edited by joeysteele; 24-01-2021 at 01:09 PM.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote