BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Missed yesterday's so here, have twenty and don't tell your mum

#80 - "Don't Think" by The Big Moon
I must have missed their 2017 debut, but they dropped off a sophomore effort at the very start of 2020 and this was my favourite cut from it; sort-of disco, sort-of Arcade Firey, sort-of ABBAesque.

#79 - "Bury Us" by The Naked and Famous
The New Zealanders have been dropping wonderful pop singles for over a decade now, with fading popularity this was a joyous start to the year, though.

#78 - "My High" by Disclosure, slowthai & Aminé
Their sound is usually a lot more chilled and gentle, so this single came along as a bolt of lightning, really. I guess it shook up a lot of people, because it's been nominated for Best Dance Recording at the upcoming GRAMMYs.

#77 - "Only Time Makes It Human" by King Princess
Something about this music video creeps me out, but the song itself is a super-catchy, sexy, breezy follow-up on her album from the year prior.

#76 - "Champagne Problems" by Taylor Swift
Something about the lyrics on this track just struck me as engaging. It touches upon mental illness in with a delicate tenderness and is one of her best ballads she's ever written.

#75 - "Oh No" by Biig Piig
Love the production on this - incredibly understated and yet full of sweeping sound effects and atmosphere.

#74 - "Diamonds" by Sam Smith
Sam Smith has really come into their own as an artist and a performer since the stiflingly safe debut record full of radio-friendly ballads. They're more known for upsetting just about everyone with interviews and personal revelations now, but the music in 2020 was, at times, sublime. People loved to make fun of George Michael until he died; hopefully we don't go down that avenue again.

#73 - "Let Me Love You Like a Woman" by Lana del Rey
Coming off the back of one of the 2010s' best albums was always going to be difficult, and for a time the buildup singles to the upcoming Chemtrails Over the Country Club had a lightly underwhelming hue. This was a snap back to goodness, though.

#72 - "The Difference" by Flume & Toro y Moi
A song has to be really ****ing good to stand out if it's only 2:20 long... and I just found myself coming back to this when I wanted something to dance to. There's an extended mix, thankfully.

#71 - "Forgive Me" by Chloe x Halle
My favourite track from their album was this: a slick, layered production with gorgeous vocals, choreo, a fine selection of leather and PVC and one of the best videos of the year.

#70 - "Head & Heart" by Joel Corry & MNEK
Okay, so Corry's singles have stuck to a pretty rigid formula and it's not the most groundbreaking material, but lord that man knows how to craft a hook. I've genuinely enjoyed all of them so far, and it was a toss-up between this and 'Lonely' for this list, but in the end MNEK's vocals and performances on various TV shows have given it the edge.

#69 - "The Adults Are Talking" by The Strokes
Could honestly be taken straight off of Reptilia or Is This It? So, so good and one of the most convincing returns to form in recent memory.

#68 - "Automatic Driverl" by La Roux
Quite suprising that this wasn't the lead single, to be honest - there's a lot going on and I keep finding new favourite elements in the instrumentation and the structure of it.

#67 - "Relay" by Fiona Apple
I'll let Apple explain it herself:
"I wrote the line, “Evil is a relay sport, when the one you burn turns to pass the torch” when I was 15. I just always liked it. [If] you get burned by somebody, when the person who burns you doesn’t acknowledge it — which rarely happens to people, acknowledging when they’ve burned you — it turns into you not knowing what to do with it. Then you just put it on somebody else. The assault when I was 12 made me think about innocence and guilt and forgiveness. It made me think about a lot of big things. Because the first thing I did after it happened was pray for him. But you can’t stop at praying for them. You have to hold them responsible.

The Kavanaugh hearings in 2018 brought on a lot of **** to deal with. I don’t know what it is, that guy. There are so many of them out there, but that one guy — the fact that he’s on the Supreme Court really is probably the thing, but his ****ing attitude is just like — it was the externalized version of what you know a lot of them are feeling inside. Just this indignant, “How could you be mad at me? Don’t make me suffer. But I’m married, but I have kids, so I can’t be a bad guy. But I was just young, don’t be so mean to me, that girl’s being mean to me.” Oh my God. Thank you, ****ing Brett Kavanaugh, for letting my anger see the light of day: Thank you for being so horrible."

#66 - "Hallucinate" by Dua Lipa
This was definitely the track that jumped out at me the most from when Future Nostalgia dropped (and I had burned through the love for Physical). Something very turn-of-the-century about it, channelling all those classic dance-pop singles like Stardust, Daft Punk or Madison Avenue.

#65 - "The Recipe" by Aluna, KAYTRANADA & Rema
She went solo this year and dropped a string of singles, but I'm unsure if an album's materialised or not. This was the best one, teaming up with one of my favourite producers and creating an infectious rhythm

#64 - "Take Yourself Home" by Troye Sivan
Sivan is already one of the most dependable stars in pop today; guaranteed to come back with something with a groove, an effortless ease, and an unmatched listenability.

#63 - "Care" by Beabadobee
Something about Gen-Z really seems to have taken the culture of the early 1990s to heart; from the aesthetics of shows like Sex Education to the unapologetic revival of grunge-pop best showcased this year by Beabadobee. A slight tinge of the poppiest sides of The Cure, and a smidgen of New Radicals about it too.

#62 - "UN DIA (ONE DAY)" by J Balvin, Bad Bunny, Tainy & Dua Lipa
Had 2020 been a regular year, and people were able to flock to bars and rooftop terraces, I would've placed a bet on this being the song of the summer. Extremely carefree, sunny and infectious.

#61 - "Anyone But Me" by Joy Crookes
I'm really excited to hear more from Crookes, because she's demonstrated, on this track, an ability to channel intense beauty from a fraught mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote