¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

What can I say? I'm inconsistent, girls!

#60 - "pov" by Ariana Grande
Trying to find the good in any of Grande's recent releases can be an arduous effort; one that was made slightly easier in 2020 with the presence of this slow-building bedroom jam.

#59 - "Young Man" by The Chicks
I already mentioned this song specifically in my albums countdown for its lyrical theme: delivering advice to her sons during her divorce. Strikingly beautiful.

#58 - "yankee and the brave (ep. 4)" by Run the Jewels
This is the opening track to a raucous album that's full of ambition to destroy capitalism, police brutality and bipartisan politics... I wasn't aware of this music video before I wrote this up, so this was a fun surprise.

#57 - "Savage (Remix)" by Megan Thee Stallion & Beyoncé
Perhaps COVID-19 offered one positive: nobody had to witness a legion of embarrassing white girls try and dance to this.

#56 - "Paradisin'" by Rina Sawayama
On the flip-side, I could have tolerated those same girls doing this dance to this

#55 - "Breaking Me" by Topic & A7S
OCCASIONALLY one of the songs that ends up dominating the charts for the better part of half a year is actually really bloody good.

#54 - "KLK" by Arca & ROSALÍA
Legendary latin women from either side of the Atlantic teaming up to produce a twerkable electrobanger? Yes please!

#53 - "Magic" by Kylie Minogue
Say Something was nice, but seeing y'all vote in droves for it over this masterpiece was a real kick in the face

#52 - "Ego Death" by Ty Dolla $ign, Kanye West, FKA twigs & Skrillex
Love the production on this; as unpredictable as the four artists involved.

#51 - "My Tears Ricochet" by Taylor Swift
Comfortably folklore's best song; a sombre, dignified take on her usual lyrical trope (middle finger at an ex).

#50 - "Conveyor" by Moses Sumney
Performed live, it's even more astonishing - so much is going on musically that it takes an artist as commanding and intriguing as Sumney to really hold focus and deliver a compelling vocal.

#49 - "In Your Eyes" by The Weeknd
Every bit as good as his other song that dominated the year (despite being released in 2019); In Your Eyes makes the list if only for that saxophone solo.

#48 - "Boss Bitch" by Doja Cat
Admittedly, it's a little corny to release something like this to accompany the Birds of Prey soundtrack... but removed from the whole DC franchise and its "i draw skulls on my diary" aesthetic, the song is a banger and packs a lot into such a short time.

#47 - "Impact" by SG Lewis, Robyn & Channel Tres
So aside from creating excellent productions for other artists - Victoria Monet, Rhye, AlunaGeorge, Clairo, Ray BLK - Lewis also threw out this track this year and managed to convince the queen of electropop herself to provide a vocal. He releases an album this month, and on the merit of this, I'm incredibly excited.

#46 - "Peppers and Onions" by Tierra Whack
Certainly the year's best song where its hook is a whistle; Tierra Whack has demonstrated an incredible creativity and is one of the most exciting artists today.

#45 - "Therapy" by Duke Dumont
It's already been a few years since Dumont's last chart hit, but since dominating the UK with songs like Need U (100%), I Got U and Won't Look Back he's gone and fully embraced the house genre. This could easily sit alongside the classics from the 90s... and kudos to Sharlene Hector for an amazing voice.

#44 - "No Time To Die" by Billie Eilish
I truly don't envy anyone the pressure of trying to craft a Bond theme; the weight of British gammon on your shoulders must be hard to bear. This will have, most likely, divided fans of film - but musically I think it's spot on. Dark, eerie, delicate and gentle, it's got just such an engrossing atmosphere about it. I would go so far as to say I prefer it to Skyfall.

#43 - "Only the Strong" by Laura Marling
Something I just felt myself sinking into upon its release; extremely comforting, and assured in its delivery.

#42 - "Lilacs" by Waxahatchee
This song reminds me a little of Alanis Morissette at her peak. There's a clarity about the lyrics and a homely sensability about it.

#41 - "death bed (coffee for your head)" by powfu & Beabadobee
One of many songs that came to prominence thanks to TikTok, there was something extremely cutesy and comforting about this emerging at a time when the virus was still unknown about and scary. A depressive's anthem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote