BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Ten more, girls!

#40 - "Simulation" by Róisín Murphy
Kicking off a record with an 8:30 deep house track is the sort of move that only people like Murphy are able to pull off: she owns every second of it, and launches one of the year's best albums with a stunning groove.

#39 - "Dance Dance Dance" by Astrid S
A cheesy, irreverent pop belter

#38 - "Black Dog" by Arlo Parks
She just released her debut album this week or the week before (time is a weird concept right now, sorry) and the initial impression seems to be very safe, samey and a little underwhelming... none of those can be said of this track; a gorgeous take on depression and support.

#37 - "Lost in Yesterday" by Tame Impala
Definitely something of a slow-burner like most of their singles... the video is odd, too.

#36 - "WAP" by Cardi B & Megan Thee Stallion
Enough has already been written about this song. It defined 2020 in terms of opinion pieces and frothing fury displayed about it... but ignoring all of the controversy and profanity, Megan's verses really sell it.

#35 - "Wherever You Go" by The Avalanches, Jamie xx, Neneh Cherry & CLYPSO
The intro samples a quote from UN Secretary General Kurt Waldheim, who recorded the message for the 1977 Voyager 1 mission, and I suppose the idea of someone's message traveling billions of miles through space and time is an apt way to describe the Avalanches' approach to music. So many samples and genres are woven into something fresh and invigorating... and the guest spots just sold it as an instant classic for me.

#34 - "911" by Lady Gaga
Even separated from its birth twin Chromatica II, it's a stomping, attention-grabbing trip down a weird mind. I'd be lying if I said I was primarily drawn by its incredibly artistic video, and layered symbolism - because I am just mindlessly jiggling titties to "my big gest en e my is me " - but whatever gets you there, right?

#33 - "Just a Touch" by Perfume Genius
In an interview with the New Yorker, Hadreas said: "I imagined a wartime story, the idea of giving this song to someone who was going away, and that they could sing the melody to remember. A lot of queer relationships were like that—they had to exist in secret, they had to be these brief, frantic, passionate explosions, and then afterward you would only have a memory to sustain it." Something about closeted gays in ages gone by always gets me </3

#32 - "Stardew" by Purity Ring
If only the rest of the album matched this

#31 - "Delete Forever" by Grimes
As the song starts you have a brief moment of terror, fearing she's gone down the Oasis Wonderwall route. The top comment on this video says "Grimes just invented Space Country genre of music and I was here to witness it"... and honestly? Tea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote