BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Right then: the best of the best!

#10 - "Don Dada" by Cakes da Killa x Proper Villains
I've only recently discovered this so this could go either way - fade into being a song I just "like" or grow to be one I adore. It's looking like the latter! I've been aware of Cakes for a while but haven't really listened to much, sadly, but was aware he's crazy good at spitting verses over house beats. This is something else though... so stylish, so real and so, so good.

#9 - "The Steps" by HAIM
Far and away the best track taken from Women In Music Pt. III, this is just... one of those songs that you find yourself desperately trying to sing along to with your terrible voice. An instant classic.

#8 - "All of the Feelings" by Kiesza
Thank god I stanned the hell out of this because otherwise I wouldn't have noticed it was a music video in Smithy's pub quiz Oh... it also happens to be a ****ing banger of Jepsenesque proportions, which is mighty convenient since Carly Rae hasn't released one since 2018 This is just euphoric.

#7 - "Physical" by Dua Lipa
One of those rare pop songs that I felt compelled to listen to on replay for a good month after it appeared, 'Physical' really was a cultural milestone for Gays In 2020™. A song so good it required a separate workout video, and a cold, icy world away from the rest of the disco hits she served this year. I love this version of Dua. The other one... yeah she's alright I guess.

#6 - "Violence (Club Mix)" by Grimes & i_o
So, technically this was a 2019 release but the fact a separate "club mix" was thrown onto the deluxe edition of 2020's album means it's allowed Sadly the producer of this died in the latter half of last year, but if there was a song to bow out with it was this one: so bewitching, crafted perfectly for Grimes' signature wails and whispers to do their magic with.

#5 - "Shameika" by Fiona Apple
Turning the experience of being bullied in middle school into this weirdly uplifting dedication to a girl she hasn't seen since is the sort of lyrical epic that only Apple is really capable of weaving. Amazing storytelling, and musically unpredictable; full of dips and peaks in energy.

#4 - "Spotlight" by Jessie Ware
A masterclass in understated theatricality. The music video matches it well: perfectly styled, slightly eerie and yet decidedly opulent. Comfortably the best song she has ever released, and there has been stiff competition.

#3 - "Midnight Sky" by Miley Cyrus
I think everyone would've called it a perfectly good year for Miley if she'd only released that stream of covers back in the spring/summer... but as good as they were, they were mere appetisers for this belter. The comparisons to Stevie Nicks' "Edge of Seventeen" were strong enough to warrant a special version of the two mixed together to be released; but to me the song radiates Laura Branigan's Self Control; that type of song just flows right through you and possesses your body for its duration.

#2 - "Jesus Christ 2005 God Bless America" by The 1975
Phoebe Bridgers pops up on this track from the Brits' complicated and somewhat flawed last album... but flaws are nowhere to be found here. The song is gentle, and Bon Iveresque horns in the distance lend a sorrowful atmosphere, but its lyrics are what hooked me and not just because of Phoebe masturbating over her next-door neighbour Claire.

#1 - "I Know the End" by Phoebe Bridgers
At the very end of this song - which closes her album Punisher - she rasps a few "aaaaaah!!!"s and starts laughing at her own rasping... and honestly I think I'd probably do the same if I pulled off a third verse and ending as perfect as this. Bringing in a huge cast of musicians to record this riotous "the end is here" moment is wonderful, and delaying that gratification with its slow, beautiful build-up makes it even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote