RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

240-231
Spoiler:

#240 - "Home" by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros

Whilst there's certainly a thick layer of "corniness" about this song, there're few more unique and sing-along-able to come out of the past fifteen years and there's something just inherently sweet and nostalgic about it, from the very first whistle to the horns.

#239 - "Everybody Wants to Be Famous" by Superorganism

One of the most recent singles that managed to argue its way into this list came from the little-known Superorganism. I love their whole sound, it's very The Go! Team, very CSS and a little bit of Gorillaz thrown in for good measure. This track really deserved to hit charts; it's just so effortlessly catchy and full of hooks.

#238 - "When I Grow Up" by The Pussycat Dolls

Picking one of the Pussycat Dolls' singles was a difficult task: in a sense they're all pretty much the same, and a lot of them were just annoying (I'm sorry, Stickwitu!) But back in 2008, they came back with a second album and this was its lead: a commanding pop banger that perfectly encapsulates the ridiculousness that was mid-2000s celebrity culture. The song is probably the most-performed drag queen number of all time, too.

#237 - "The Bay" by Metronomy

The music video is literally filmed in my hometown and does a marvellous job of making it look like a nice place to live, so I had to include it by virtue of encapsulating my upbringing.... but it's also just a wonderfully groovy song and the whole album it came from is worth checking out.

#236 - "All Night Long" by Alexandra Burke

Before embarking on a career in linguistics and introducing the UK to the concept of an "elephant in the room", Alexandra Burke had a fruitful string of hits at the start of the 2010s. This was her peak: a swooning club anthem that really didn't need a Pitbull feature but got one anyway.

#235 - "Battlefield" by Jordin Sparks

From one talent show discovery to another: American Idol didn't really launch many careers but there aren't many that could've competed with a pop-ballad as strong as this one. Most pop songs on this list will be very much cases of "songs that I think would be performed very dramatically on a Drag Race lipsync", and the vocal runs on display here are perfect.

#234 - "Young Blood" by The Naked and Famous

I am struggling to recall a song that was used in more promotional material for BBC Three programming than this one: a wonderful time capsule of 2010's indiepop boom that saw the likes of Two Door Cinema Club, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Florence + the Machine become pretty much inescapable when channel-hopping. This song particularly stands out: a pretty simple hook, really.

#233 - "Unforgettable" by French Montana & Swae Lee

There was a brief period in 2017 when it seemed like the dominant force in music might actually shift to dancehall over trap. Unfortunately, the wrong decision was made, because if the charts today were dominated with derivatives of this they'd be a ****ing ****-ton more tolerable. I can't say I've really followed either of their careers since this, but... this was one of the songs of the year and just... so, so catchy and understated.

#232 - "Somewhere Only We Know" by Keane

It is easy to forget just how huge Keane were in 2004 because it's the sort of stratospheric radio presence and chart domination that we would typically associate with Coldplay, Muse or U2. The band were often derided as being incredibly uncool, producing bland albums and boring everyone to tears who was forced to listen to BBC Radio 2 at work... but there's no denying they had a handful of wonderful songs. Ten years on, this would go on to top the charts with Lily Allen's John Lewis christmas advert.

#231 - "Move Your Feet" by Junior Senior

I was twelve when this came out and even though I was raised on a diet of the Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys and Aqua... this is probably the catchiest thing I had ever heard at that point. Junior Senior were a Danish duo that never really matched the majesty of this #3 single, but then... how on earth would you? I did enjoy their follow-up "Rhythm Bandits" though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Last edited by Shaun; 06-03-2021 at 07:11 PM.
Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote