RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

230-221
Spoiler:

#230 - "Closer" by Tegan and Sara

Tegan and Sara have spanned the entirety of the twenty-first century (and a couple of years prior) trying their hand at a ton of different styles of pop, but fully embraced the cheese in 2012 with the build-up to their album Heartthrob. This was the twins' most raucous and earwormy single of all time, and is just explosive fun.

#229 - "Glowed Up" by KAYTRANADA & Anderson .Paak

99.9% was one of my favourite 2016 albums (and that's saying something in a year stacked with Lemonade, Blonde, Blackstar, A Seat at the Table, A Moon Shaped Pool, Anti and Coloring Book)... and this was my favourite track from it. This eerie, extraterrestial-sounding, 808-heavy jam is a perfect backdrop for Paak to deliver his signature style and the whole thing is this alien experience that's fascinating.

#228 - "Feel So Close" by Calvin Harris

Harris is, of course, known for collaborating with just about every huge popstar around over the past ten years. He's seen mega-hits with Rihanna, Dua Lipa, Ariana Grande, Ellie Goulding and Florence + the Machine, and many of those hits are fantastic indeed... but there's something about his singles where he displays his own voice that endear themselves to me more. This single, the follow-up to Kelis' wonderful Bounce, was pretty much everywhere during my time at university and it was just very euphoric.

#227 - "Don't Look Back Into The Sun" by The Libertines

It honestly seems a lifetime away from the days where Pete Doherty would be plastered all over the tabloids for two hundred different crimes and drug sprees... and as a result his music can feel like something of a relic. This, his biggest hit with the Libertines, is pretty much synonymous with that whole 2000s indie-rock craze, and it's also impossible to think of Gavin and Stacey without hearing that intro fire up in your head.

#226 - "Thank You" by Jamelia

This is a harder song to justify because the reason it stuck with me for so long (and still does) is so esoteric and random, lol - I remember having this CD/radio player that looked very futuristic and compact at the time (it was 2003), and would laze around on my new bunk bed (with a pull-out sofa bed underneath the top bunk) listening to it all the time. For some reason, this song sticks out as a fond memory... it's emotionally forthright, a fine vocal, and one of those embarrassing little instances of being a 13 year old and pretending to relate to emotional abuse and breakups

#225 - "We'll Live and Die In These Towns" by The Enemy

Basically the 2000s' version of The Jam's That's Entertainment!... but it certainly has its own charms and is a very pretty and poignant indictment of how futile British life can seem sometimes.

#224 - "Nothing In This World" by Paris Hilton

The tabloids spent most of the 2000s trying their damnedest to ruin the lives of the likes of Lindsay Lohan, Britney Spears and this lady and whilst her appeal at the time was certainly questionable (no discernable talent, that awful "stop being poor" t-shirt), there is no denying that this is a fantastic pop song.

#223 - "Good Times Gonna Come" by Aqualung

Okay, so I spent my latter teenage years growing up on the Skins soundtrack and as a result, this song sticks out like a sore thumb. This featured in the episode that centred around Maxxie's stalker "Sketch", and I guess I was fascinated by the bleak, emotionally-damaged melodrama of it all. Aqualung were a shortlived band best known for their single 'Strange and Beautiful' (which peaked at #7.)

#222 - "Misery Business" by Paramore

For some reason, I didn't really 'get' Paramore at the time they were their hugest: back in 2007 this was absolutely everywhere and I guess I subconsciously associated it with all of the annoying girls who'd wear 200 wristbands and have xD </3 in their MSN usernames. Looking back... this was a cultural reset

#221 - "Black and Gold" by Sam Sparro

This sounded so ****ing cool in 2008, and honestly still does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Last edited by Shaun; 06-03-2021 at 07:11 PM.
Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote