BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

220-211
Spoiler:

#220 - "All The Things She Said" by t.A.T.u.

Did lesbians even exist before this cultural landmark? I am transported back to the smell of smoke machines at school discos, where I wore jeans with chains on them and black shirts with flames. My hair was probably gelled to high heavens. We "moshed" to the likes of this and Sum 41. It was a simpler time (I might've placed this higher, had it not transpired that the Russian duo weren't in fact lesbians, and one of them is actually pretty openly homophobic and repulsive. Stan the other one though!).

#219 - "Solo Dancing" by Indiana

An entire music video full of euphemisms for masturbation, culminating in flicking a picture of Mr. Bean? Wonderful. The song is a dark house/pop banger and I often forget how good it is.

#218 - "New York" by Paloma Faith

Since her breakthrough in 2009, Paloma Faith has pretty much trot out the same album four or five times and expected different results... Einstein penned that as the definition of insanity. For a brief moment though, her music was utterly charming and her voice was showcased on the best songs of her career: this was my favourite, by virtue of being impossibly beautiful and heartwrenching.

#217 - "Climax" by Usher

As someone who has gone through a multitude of genre shifts since his early-90s days, it was kinda difficult to pinpoint a favourite Usher song. There were some real nadirs; remember 'OMG?' remember discovering Justin Bieber? But it came down to a toss-up between the anthemic 'Yeah!', the eurodance banger 'DJ Got Us Falling In Love' and this... I opted for this; a more recent, understated Usher that showcases his phenomenal voice with a lilting, ebbing electronic beat.

#216 - "Lush Life" by Zara Larsson

One of many 2010s examples of an explosive pop debut by a promising new star followed up by teems upon teems of disappointment came in 2015 with this; Lush Life is one of those perfect pop songs where every different segment is as catchy and memorable as the last.

#215 - "Retrograde" by James Blake

Having written off his debut record with a petulant and immature swipe, I don't really know why this (and its accompanying album) really changed my mind so suddenly. The synths in this are so hypnotic and mesmeric.

#214 - "Begin Again" by Purity Ring

Speaking of perfect synths... I hadn't actually seen this music video before, and giving the song a visual of vampiric rituals of old/young sacrifice is a deft touch. I already just loved the song though: it pounds away menacingly.

#213 - "Danger! High Voltage" by Electric Six

I am hard-pressed to recall a more bat**** insane moment in 2000s music. I don't understand how the band were allowed to get away with this music video... but the song itself is just this fantastic, camp nonsense (...gates of hell... Taco Bell!) that I've only just discovered features Jack White (of the White Stripes) as the vocal of the woman in the video.

#212 - "My Number One" by Helena Paparizou

The early 2000s in Eurovision were heavily defined by this Turkish sound infiltrating into pretty much every entry.. and when done right, it resulted in perfect, indisputable winners like this. Greece's 2005 entry won by a landslide, and deservedly so.

#211 - "Bad Girls" by M.I.A.

Without a doubt one of the coolest music videos of all time, and the song isn't far behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Last edited by Shaun; 06-03-2021 at 07:11 PM.
Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote