¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Glad to be bringing up relics!

210-201
Spoiler:

#210 - "Round and Round" by Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti

I really enjoyed this album (and 'Mature Themes' too) so it was pretty disparaging to discover the creative force behind the band is a Trump supporting abusive dick

#209 - "Plug In Baby" by Muse

I am now so entirely alienated from the idea of being a 'Muse fan' (they have been diabolical since 2009, and were for most of that year too) that it's very easy to overlook how fantastic the albums Absolution and Black Holes and Revelations were... but my favourite was always 2001's Origin of Symmetry. I was 11 years old and boys at school (and older brothers) were lapping them up, and this song sticks out as a particular highlight. I wanted to put 'Bliss' or 'New Born' in instead but they were later discoveries for me... but that run of singles from 2000 until 2007 is just... *chef's kiss*

#208 - "5 Dollars" by Christine and the Queens

It was probably quite low down the list of probabilities that one of the musicians from the past decade that has the broadest appeal should be a French woman with a penchant for breaking gender norms. It still feels very much like she's very much on the ascent; every album seems to get better and her artistry is only getting more compelling. This track, from her last LP, is my favourite of hers... immaculately produced, heartily sung and full of emotion.

#207 - "Miasma Sky" by Baths

I remember loving the hell out of Baths' 2012 album, but he seems to have gone completely off my radar since... so as a result, this track feels like something of a time capsule of electronic creativity. I'm now looking him up and vaguely remembering 2017's Romaplasm (but I believe I found it something of a let-down?) I don't know. I do know that this song is transfixing.

#206 - "Electric Lady" by Janelle Monáe and Solange

I've loved Janelle Monáe since she danced her way onto our TV screens with coverage of 2011's Glastonbury festival (well, I loved the album before that, but shut up). Her performance of the hits from her breakthrough record 'The ArchAndroid (Suites II and III)' really stood out and earned her a cult following that only grew and grew. 2013's The Electric Lady was a real event: a masterclass in funk, R&B and soul that boasted collaborations with Erykah Badu, Miguel and... oh, just Prince. This title track with Solange was just... so, so good. I just hope her burgeoning acting career doesn't hinder the music, because 2018's Dirty Computer, whilst very good, felt... a little less creative than we've grown accustomed to

#205 - "Love On My Mind" by Freemasons and Amanda Wilson

I've already mentioned my infatuation with the Freemasons' grip on dance music in the 2000s, and it all started with this 2005 single. It would go on to create a tsunami of excellent singles, and infamous remixes of the likes of Beyonce, Shakira, Kelly Rowland and Kylie Minogue. This itself is a reworking of a 1979 disco hit, 'This Time Baby' by Jackie Moore but given a contemporary lease of life and turned into a floorfiller. I... really miss that period of UK music

#204 - "Point of View" by DB Boulevard

Every time this song comes on I am immediately transported back to 2001 and being an annoying ****ing child replaying the same songs, over and over, on my copy of Now! 51 on my walkman This hit #3 in the UK, and turned Italian singer Monica Bragato (otherwise known as 'Moony') into an overnight star. Pretty well deserved, because her voice on this is just honey.

#203 - "Crying Lightning" by Arctic Monkeys

I had to whittle down the Arctic Monkeys to two songs in the end to make this list, and this is the first... I remember feeling somewhat disappointed with 2009's Humbug, so much so that for a while it really clouded my judgment of most of its contents. Its lead single was this, this insane lyric of rhymes that come out of nowhere and a menacing, pulsing guitar riff.

#202 - "Good As Hell" by Lizzo

To many, she is the woman who took over the world with 'Juice' and 'Truth Hurts'. To the gays, she'd already conquered because of this.

#201 - "Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up)" by Florence + the Machine

I was in a pretty bad place, psychologically, in 2009, so I guess the idea of this Midsommaresque setting of pagan sacrifice tapped into a wandering and dramatic mind. Lungs was one of the year's biggest albums with good reason; it was just... unique. Some genres come and go, but no one made or makes music that sounds the same as her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Last edited by Shaun; 06-03-2021 at 07:12 PM.
Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote