¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

I just realised this thread is probably hella slow to load for people with dodgy internet connections, so I've put all the videos/placings in spoilers so people can open them at leisure without getting annoyed at Sam Sparro taking so long to load.

200-191
Spoiler:

#200 - "My Love" by Justin Timberlake & T.I.

Something about being a popstar called Justin makes you a bit of an insufferable asshole with more terrible output than good... but there was a brief period in the mid-2000s where Timberlake was definitely good. With Timbaland at the helm at the peak of his production powers, he released the genuinely-fantastic album FutureSex/LoveSounds. 'SexyBack', 'What Goes Around...' and 'Lovestoned' were all fantastic singles, but my favourite was this.

#199 - "It's Not My Fault, I'm Happy" by Passion Pit

Passion Pit have been a favourite band of mine for a long time (although the quality is starting to wane ) because of their poppy sounds, their ear for a good hook, and their forthright and emotional lyrics; frontman Michael Angelakos has been upfront about his struggles with bipolar disorder and that sort of all culminated in this track towards the end of their second album, Gossamer. The song to me rings with this sense of trying to put on a good front whilst you're struggling, and happened to come out at a time when I was, so that was cathartic.

#198 - "Get Away" by Yuck

The band Yuck recently announced that they were formally splitting ten years after the release of the self-titled album that featured this, but to be honest the band pretty much fell apart the second frontman Daniel Blumberg left in 2013. Still, the debut album was genuinely fantastic and full of singalong grunge/pop belters like this.

#197 - "Super Bass" by Nicki Minaj

The single that launched her into the stratosphere. It is hard to imagine a 2010s pop landscape that didn't begin with Super Bass... because it was so ubiquitous and wonderful, and defined a period of time. I don't know many times I tried to keep up with the lyrics when drunk with uni housemates. I did rather ruin the song for myself though when I tried to record a parody of it for TiBB

#196 - "Time Of My Life" by Patrick Wolf

I am a little worried as to where Patrick Wolf has actually gone, because I don't remember him releasing anything after 2011's Lupercalia this was one of my songs of that year, though; a wonderfully dramatic strings arrangement underpinning it all.

#195 - "Jealousy" by Will Young

One of those sadbangers that still feels fresh every time I hear it. Very much in the same league as Robyn, and his voice lends itself well to electro-pop.

#194 - "Braveheart" by Neon Jungle

The fact that the UK gave up on this girlband in favour of ****ing Little Mix remains one of the biggest injustices this side of the slave trade.

#193 - "Swimming Pools (Drank)" by Kendrick Lamar

Truth be told, I still feel a tinge of disappointment when this comes on and it isn't the Mutya Keisha Siobhan cover of it, but the real magic behind the song is in its production so it doesn't matter too much.

#192 - "1901" by Phoenix

French band Phoenix have been at the forefront of the whole indie-disco movement since the mid 2000s and haven't really gone off the rails at all. They hit their poppiest peak in 2009 with the release of Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix, and this was one of their biggest singles.

#191 - "If I Ain't Got You" by Alicia Keys

In spite of that bloody awful stint welcoming in the new year for 2021 on the BBC, Keys has a broad appeal and has endured whilst many R&B fads have come and gone since her breakthrough hit Fallin'. I struggled to pick a favourite song of hers because there are a lot of great ones, but this one is probably her best vocal masterclass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote