¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

cheers lad

190-181
Spoiler:

#190 - "I Love It" by Icona Pop and Charli XCX

Back in 2013, Charli XCX was fixated with topping the charts and briefly turned to releasing the cheesiest, poppiest crap imaginable... and I mean that as a compliment. Penning this for the Swedish pair finally saw that dream become a reality, and what a wonderful banger it was Wherever Icona Pop are now, we light a candle for them. (But no seriously they released like 5 or 6 other wonderful bops and we should never have slept on them!)

#189 - "Let Love Be Your Energy" by Robbie Williams

Williams' grip on the UK music industry's throats for nigh-on twenty years was something that may never really be replicated, but then that's probably because the idea of a male releasing genuinely fantastic pop songs for such a prolonged period of time is alien. It was difficult narrowing down his songs to just one, but I ended up picking one I loved then and still do... 'Let Love Be Your Energy' is an often-forgotten 'fourth single' that had the unenviable task of following up 'Kids', 'Supreme' and 'Rock DJ' but is just a radiant, relentlessly optimistic belter.

#188 - "No Church in the Wild" by Kanye West, Jay-Z, Frank Ocean and The-Dream

Despite their numerous collaborations, and despite Kanye's penchant for releasing an album with just about anyone, there was only one feature-length project between him and Jay-Z and it was the excellent 2011 album Watch the Throne. At the very height of their shared powers, they tackled weighty subjects with wordplay and humour and the highlight (for me, anyway) was this; No Church in the Wild is a firecracker of a production.

#187 - "Coffee" by Miguel

Okay, so on the surface it probably just looks like I love this because the music video is ridiculously sexy and turned Miguel into an instant pin-up... and yeah that is definitely what made me wake up and pay attention. But the song itself is a mix of pulsating beats and crooning vocals that combine to make something gorgeous.

#186 - "Everything is Embarrassing" by Sky Ferreira

Not gonna lie, I'm still pissed off over her taking forever to follow this (and its album, Night Time, My Time) up. It's been 9 ****ing years, Sky! Anyway... this was wonderful.

#185 - "Apocalypse Dreams" by Tame Impala

Another instance where I took a band that I love and struggled for a long time to hand-pick just the one song from them to make the list; Tame Impala have been kings of reviving psychedelic rock since 2010, and for me they really hit their peak in 2012 with Lonerism. This song is both urgent and relaxing; a real slice of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band with a contemporary twist.

#184 - "Seven Nation Army" by The White Stripes

It's impossible to accredit this song with its full impact: it wasn't enough being a fantastic rock record, it had to go on and literally change the way fans chant in a stadium, be they music or football fans. A lot of my list is obviously just personal preference, but if I were to compile a list of the 21st century's most iconic musical moments, this would feature far higher up the list. Also deserves a mention because Jack White is now busy boring music critics to tears with his 30 tedious side-projects rather than honing all of his ideas into something as majestic as this.

#183 - "Magic" by Ladyhawke

When documenting the history of indie-pop artists and their takeover of the charts around 2005-2015, there's one who's often overlooked in favour of your La Rouxs and your Klaxons. New Zealander Ladyhawke released an album in 2008 and it was absolutely brilliant: spawning hit singles like 'Paris is Burning', 'My Delirium' and 'Dusk Till Dawn'. Magic however, remains my favourite.

#182 - "Merry Happy" by Kate Nash

Topping the album charts in 2007 with Made of Bricks, Kate Nash divided the nation between those who were singing about holding onto the cracks in our foundations, and those who found her affected Cockney accent too grating. I'll admit that I found myself flitting between the two moods; perhaps recoiling from her inescapability at the time... but with hindsight, I loved this album and this viciously catchy closer.

#181 - "I'm Not Okay (I Promise)" by My Chemical Romance

The year is 2004, and the emo trend amongst MySpace teenagers is born thanks - almost single-handedly - to My Chemical Romance and their Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge. Although the band were yet to reach their biggest heights, they were still pretty ****ing massive (as evident with the budget of their music videos) and really tugging at the heartstrings of some very confused and angsty kids. This is the song that sticks out most to me from their heyday, but really... there's like 20 others that were all just as great as this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote