¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Nasty? the Janet song from 1986?

180-171
Spoiler:

#180 - "Body Party" by Ciara

One of the 21st century's most underrated and enduring singers is Ciara, who's always been the media's second fiddle to Rihanna (a fact not helped by their public spats). There've been a ton of hits I could have picked for her - Goodies, Oh, 1 2 Step, Work, Love Sex Magic - but my favourite came a bit later than her 2000s prime and saw her turn down a more sensual, sexual route. The song interpolates a little bit of "My Boo" by Ghost Town DJs, to great effect.

#179 - "Thursday" by Asobi Seksu

I mentioned earlier the impact that the Skins soundtrack had on my formative years, and the track that stands out with the most affection in my heart was this, which I believe featured on the premiere of the 2nd series. The song is a beautiful chunk of shoegaze, dream-pop, whatever you want to call it: the sort of song you'd see doing the rounds in a "best bits" compilation for a saccharine portion of a TV show.

#178 - "Real Love" by Florrie

The majority of the 2010s (and, I should imagine, the 2020s as well) were or will be spent not at all understanding why certain popstars never really take off or land on the charts. Florrie has been chipping away at the British pop scene for well over a decade now, and this - from 2016 - is the best single of hers that I can recall... but god that's underselling it. This is a shot of adrenaline; a magnificent pop confection that rolls along with gusto.

#177 - "Acapella" by Kelis

Having completely dominated the 2000s with a string of bizarre hits, you might have forgiven Kelis if she bowed out by 2010 with a "back to basics" album. Instead, she reinvented herself again and served up one of the decade's greatest dance records; Flesh Tone came along in 2010 with an insane amount of energy and this was its lead single. The video isn't surprising - she's always been fantastic with visuals - but dedicating a song to her newborn son whilst ushering in an EDM floorfiller? Iconic ****.

#176 - "On the Floor" by Jennifer Lopez and Pitbull

A far more literal floorfiller, you ask? Have this! I am fairly confident that I absolutely hated this song when it came out, and... I don't know what I was thinking (especially since I remember adoring its copycat follow-up, Dance Again, a year or two after this release). I suppose on the surface it's an autotuned nightmare, and Pitbull was a tyrant that would not be overthrown at the time... but it was the soundtrack of the summer of 2011 and with good reason; it's an undeniable earworm and an irresistible urge to dance.

#175 - "Always Like This" by Bombay Bicycle Club

This is very much the dancing portion of my countdown, and I remember this one indie club in my hometown (now gone </3) always putting this on rotation at some point. As such, the song conjures memories of snakebites, piss-stained toilet floors, and putting together terrible dance routines with female friends that just embarrassed other attendees (and ourselves, probably). BBC are still going, but I firmly attach them to the period of 2009-2011 when I was still actually interested in a night out

#174 - "The Bucket" by Kings of Leon

Years before Kings of Leon went briefly stratospheric with the likes of Sex on Fire and Use Somebody, they were a thoroughly enjoyable band that didn't actually get on my tits! It's hard to imagine, now, but they were! This was the lead single from their 2004 album Aha Shake Heartbreak, and is a wonderfully pretty take on the band's brothers vowing to keep going and not kill themselves. I'm really not selling it but it's a song I remember fondly.

#173 - "L.E.S. Artistes" by Santigold

The whole wave of 2006-onward alternative pop wasn't just going on in the UK; across the pond the likes of M.I.A. and this lady were really taking off. In 2008, Santigold released her self-titled debut and with it a slew of hits that corporations would later clamor to use in their adverts. There are few songs that sound truly unique to a particular artist, but this is definitely an example of a defining moment in 21st century music.

#172 - "Left Outside Alone" by Anastacia

It's easy to forget just how huge Anastacia was (particularly in Europe, despite being an American) in the very early 2000s... this was the sixth highest-selling record of 2004 in Europe, and one of the biggest selling of the decade in Australia, and really confirmed her legacy as one of the best power-vocalists of a generation. Every bar on this sounds like the climax, her voice is that commanding and gifted.

#171 - "Naive" by The Kooks

I think this was one of those songs that pretty much everyone in the country loved at the time, but not enough to keep the Kooks in their hearts for more than a couple of albums. 'Naive' was everywhere in 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote