¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

they're still going, but their albums are always like... " this is nice i guess " just not a very exciting band lol but definitely a nice blast of nostalgia.

170-161:
Spoiler:

#170 - "Feel It All Around" by Washed Out

This was my ringtone for almost a decade (I recently changed it to a song that'll appear later). The theme tune to the wonderful sitcom Portlandia was at the peak of the chillwave movement around the turn of 2010, and is definitely one of those tracks that just conjure memories of beaches, sunsets and every other cliche good vibe.

#169 - "Hips Don't Lie" by Shakira and Wyclef Jean

There aren't really many better examples of a song that absolutely stole a summer than this. 2006 was the best summer of my life (I was 16, so, of course it was) and the music definitely shaped that; this was Shakira's biggest hit and... hell, do I need to explain Hips Don't Lie? You already know it, and already love it.

#168 - "I Got U" by Duke Dumont, Jax Jones and Kelli-Leigh

I'm going to right some wrongs now and point out that Kelli-Leigh, despite not being credited as a featured artist on either of them, topped the charts twice in 2014 (the other time on SecondCity's I Wanna Feel) and that seems rude, doesn't it? It's a slight I'll quickly get over, because... oh my god these steel drums are wonderful and I don't know a better example of a summer anthem.

#167 - "Supercut" by Lorde

When Lorde burst onto the scene in 2013 with Royals (and the album, Pure Heroine), I remember feeling flummoxed and uncertain of what the hype was all about. I still maintain most of the songs on that album were... just really boring but the follow-up... may be one of the albums of the decade? It was difficult picking a standout Lorde track, including her collaboration 'Magnets' with Disclosure, but in the end I opted for this because it's a rush from start to finish and full of poignancy.

#166 - "Fourth of July" by Sufjan Stevens

I really did try and keep the list of songs light-hearted and reflections of happy times but at the same time I couldn't deny that there have been songs and even entire albums that have had me on the verge of tears this century 2015's Carrie & Lowell was a dedication to Stevens' recently deceased mother, and as such the majority of tracks featured are heavy with grief. This, for me, was the favourite; yes, it's devastating and heartbreaking, but also so staggeringly beautiful and full of sweet nicknames for a mother's son.

#165 - "Love It If We Made It" by The 1975

The 21st century's version of Billy Joel's We Didn't Start the Fire; a frenetic lyrical epic that touches on an infinite number of references to blights and political moments that have accumulated into the overwhelming sense that we, as a species, are doomed... whilst aiming to undermine that all with a determined optimism. Uh.... yeah I like the song?

#164 - "Is It 'Cos I'm Cool?" by Mousse T and Emma Lanford

Turkish producer Mustafa Gundogdu had a string of hits in the late 90s and early 00s - most famously "Horny", and "Sex Bomb" with Tom Jones - but I remember this single coming out in 2004 and loving the hell out of it.

#163 - "Let It Rock" by Kevin Rudolf and Lil Wayne

I've always shrugged off the idea of a "guilty pleasure" but if I were to actually ever confess one I think it'd be this? The song is this over-the-top swag-rock nonsense, and I never liked Lil Wayne's rap career, but the two combined in 2008 to create this monster of a song that... I couldn't stop playing, and still find (to borrow an overused word from that time) epic.

#162 - "Thinkin Bout You" by Frank Ocean

Once I've gotten over the memory of that "a potato flew around" Vine, I am reminded of the fragility and the soul that Ocean displayed on Channel Orange back in 2012... the album was a huge moment in queer music; the first major-label, extremely cool and at the peak of his career, rap and R&B artist to come out of the closet. Ignoring all of the press about it though: the song is a beautiful vocal.

#161 - "Round Round" by Sugababes

Forever the coolest girlband of all time, the Sugababes were at their cultural peak in 2002 and the hits were numerable and fantastic. This was one of their best: a bewitching drum-beat that sees the girls literally whip up a tornado of rhythm and sex. The special effects in this video were actually pretty impressive for the time, and make Avatar look like a huge waste of ****ing time! Keisha delivers a wonderful verse, but it's new member Heidi who gets the slowed-down, bizarre bridge and steals the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote