BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
A senior member of Japan’s ruling party has said cancelling the Olympics remains a possibility if the coronavirus situation in Japan becomes too severe.

Toshiro Nikai is a very powerful politician in Japan’s ruling party, so his words carry weight.

In the TV interview he said the Olympics should be cancelled "without hesitation" if the virus situation in Japan becomes too severe.

“If the infections spreads because of the Olympics then I don’t see what the Olympics is for,” he said.

Nikai’s comments have been dismissed by other ruling party officials who told Japanese media the games will not be cancelled.

The governor of Tokyo said she thought Nikai had only meant that the virus must be contained by all means.

But the virus is not being contained. On Wednesday, Japan recorded nearly 5,500 new cases.

The so-called “Kent variant”, originally identified in England, is now the dominant strain in western Japan, and it is spreading fast in the greater Tokyo area.
ok ok, not silenced, but you don't need to cancel stuff anymore

Olympics can go through, there is already no audience so and some countries (mine for example) are vaccinating the athletes before the event as well

5,500 is almost similar as my nation daily yesterday tbh, that is not too high for Japan either

if Nikai wants to contribute anything then he should use his power to come up with a health safety protocol for the event, get a good testing pavillion set up, good PPE handgel, enough face masks, gloves

last year was horrible with everything cancelled, we should not do that another year

Last edited by Nicky91; 15-04-2021 at 01:24 PM.